Thursday, September 09, 2010

Finishing Up

I posted a few weeks ago about sewing SMBI dresses for Amy. Two days ago I finished the seventh "identical hog trough" except of course it was classy and chic and not hog trough-ish at all. It was this really basic dark gray that I would never have chosen for myself, and the whole time I was working on it, it reminded me of something. About when I put the zipper in I finally figured out what it was: The fabric was almost identical to my dad's wedding mutza that he wore to church three times a week for about 40 years.

When that dress was done I started in on the one dress that was different from the rest and fun and difficult. Amy had wanted one formal dress for the banquet and such but didn't think she could justify buying the green fabric she wanted. Then at a library fundraiser garage sale in Harrisburg she found the perfect fabric, dull on one side and shiny on the other, for 50 cents. She sketched a diagram and found a pattern in my stash, and I had great fun adding flounces and gathers and making exactly what she wanted. All it lacks is glass slippers.

[And a good pressing]


Then I hemmed two white veils and made her a slip, and I put the paper with her itinerary on the kitchen counter, and tomorrow I take her to the airport.

I am happy for her but oh dear it is never easy to say goodbye to daughters.

Quote of the Day:
"I feel like Dad and Mary Poppins!"
--Jenny, when she got ALL THAT STUFF for Bible Memory Camp in one small blue vintage suitcase

10 comments:

  1. It's lovely. Having four boys, there's no flouncing or ruffling here unless I personally flounce or ruffle. That's why I try to bring as much pink into the house as I can.

    I haven't had to say goodbye to daughters, of course, but we identified wholeheartedly with Dr. Dobson's words, "Parenting isn't for cowards," when we droppped our oldest son off at college the other week...and drove away. Oh. My. Goodness.

    The next stage of parenting, and it came in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda--you have all my sympathy. I think we could have a good Kleenex moment together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we could. I know it.

    Does it get easier, like everyone says, with the second and third? And is it hard on their dad? The whole thing sort of came about at the last minute and some of us (ahem) didn't have the time necessary to process this big life change in advance.

    Then a commercial came on the other day showing a college student eating Jif peanut butter in her dorm room with a white plastic spoon (because, of course, her mother cared enough to buy the very best), which is exactly what Father left in Son's dorm room before we drove off. Can you believe it? Talk about a Kleenex moment.

    Even picking out his bedding seemed sacramental somehow, like one last thing this mama could do to sort of feather his new nest. Thankfully, he's happy as a clam, and that helps.

    I'm sending warm thoughts your way. If I could fax you a mocha to help, I'd do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green dress looks lovely! Is anything more feminine than flounces?--shiny ones at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosy (from Plain City)9/10/2010 6:46 PM

    The green dress does indeed look lovely!! It's always so nice when we unexpectedly are able to get something we thought we wouldn't be able to have!
    And,to you, Rhonda, I don't think it gets alot easier the second or third time around, you just know more what to expect, so you can brace yourself!!
    I somehow didn't expect to have so many Kleenex moments at such times!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it doesn't get easier. And it isn't like you say goodbye once and that's it. I told Amy goodbye when she went to the Emirates, three times for Bible school, and when she went to teach in South Carolina. Each time she was home long enough in between that it felt like a Big Goodbye when she left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saying goodbye is different at different times for me. I can't predict how it's going to be, so I can't prepare myself. Last month saying goodbye to our daughter in Haiti, I probably cried more than ever. Even though she's so well suited for what she does there and is thriving. Even though she has been there for five years. Usually I can hold off on the tears till after we're separated. This time I couldn't. And a week later, when we flew over the area she was, I cried again. And I cry now thinking of it all, but can't explain why! I guess it's motherhood.~Edith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your input, ladies. You-all are veteran mamas. I'm a first-timer on this 'letting go' thing. I always thought my apron strings were cast iron; am trying hard not to let them be.

    It's wonderful to see him where God wants him and to know that he's so happy. But still. That's part of my heart walking around on that campus. In another town. Eating cafeteria food that's iffy. Making friends we haven't met yet.

    It makes us thankful for the 4-year-old surprise (and the 17- and 11-year-old boys as well) that the Lord gave us. The love they have for each other is very sweet to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said the ultimate "goodbye" to my daughter, Lynn, last February when she died of breast cancer. I can't describe the sadness! Celebrate your girls' lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, now that we know you can post pictures again, could you pleease show us your kitchen?! =)

    ReplyDelete