Friday, September 18, 2015

Cousins and Friends

Last week Paul's niece, Leah, sent me a CD with photos from the Wilton Smucker reunion in June.

I was struck by how similar Jenny and her cousin Allison look in this shot.

I think they were more tired than sad, despite those woebegone faces.


Actually, they looked alike in other pictures from that weekend too.


Here they're sitting between Steven and Grandpa Yoder.
 Jenny was born less than two months before Allison, and they have been like two peas in a pod ever since they were little.  At 16, they are best of friends.

Allison's eyes are blue while Jenny's are brown.  Allison has blonde hair; Jenny's is red.  Allison's features are a bit finer.

But they walk alike, laugh alike, and carry themselves the same way--and they have for years.  They are very similar in size and shape.  When Jenny decided she wanted a "cape" dress, Allison sewed her one from her own pattern and it fit Jenny perfectly.

Here are two shots I took at the reunion.  Allison and Jenny are on the left, and they're not posing for the pictures.  They just DO this.





I found the reunion pictures intriguing enough that I sent them to the rest of the family.  Matt reminded me of how the two girls hit it off in Poland when Allison's family lived there, and we went to visit, in 2004.  I think that was the first time we had noticed their remarkable similarities, and John noted that they even squealed alike, about the same things.




That Sunday morning they tried to look as alike as possible, from navy-blue dresses to French braids.

 I'm not sure why I'm so intrigued with similarities in cousins--maybe because I didn't have any girl cousins my age.

The truth is, I might have had cousins who were a lot like me.  After all, I had over 50 first cousins.  But we were at the young end of the family tree and our oldest cousin, Sylvia, was 50 years older than the youngest Yoder cousin, my sister Margaret, who was good buddies with Sylvia's grandchildren.  When I was 16, the freindschaft wasn't likely to notice if 40-year-old Barbara had been like me when she was my age.

This was at another Smucker reunion, maybe 10 years ago.
So it just makes me happy that the time and the genes were right for these two to not only be cousins, but to be the same age and so very much alike. . . but still just different enough to keep their friendship interesting.

Playing dress-up, long ago.
If you have a cousin who is also your best friend, you are blessed.

Quote of the Day:
"That guy can land-plane in a bit straighter rows than I can."
--Emily, who has learned to observe crops and fields as we're driving along, like a true farmer



3 comments:

  1. I never had cousins near my age. How fun to have one almost like a twin...how fun to see and write about it. I live your way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 26 first cousins, but never any that looked as much like me as Jenny and her cousin! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like sisters, rather than cousins...wow! My only girl is about 4 months older than her little girl cousin...and they, too, are best friends, and only live 1 mile apart! But...they look nothing alike!!

    ReplyDelete