Monday, October 23, 2006

Emily's Notebooks

Emily has always loved notebooks. Spiral school notebooks, cute round notebooks with cats on the front, funky pink notebooks with thick black spirals and a high-heeled shoe on the cover, diaries with locks, tiny notebooks on key chains.

Recently she resurrected a round pink notebook (with a long illustrated story in it--read more here) out of the box of memorabilia in the laundry room.

On our last road trip, I think she had three different notebooks along--as I recall: one for stories, one for a diary, the other for notes and ideas.

She loves notebooks for Christmas and birthdays, and spends her hard-earned money on the newest and latest pink-striped, hard-cover notebooks.

This evening Emily took a notebook inventory in her bedroom. Then she came downstairs. "Guess how many notebooks I have, Mom."
"Nine?"
"Nooo, way more than that."
"Twenty??"
"Way more."
"I give up."
(Grin) "I have seventy."


Quote of the Day:
"I thought these things are supposed to be fun, and they just eliminated that with those two cautions."
--Ben, when his new disc-shooter package said, "1. Never shoot at people or animals. 2. Always use with adult supervision."

2 comments:

  1. One of my students came up to my desk and asked me the very same question yesterday morning. She had seven and was very proud of it. I'm afraid I burst her bubble when I told her the story about Emily's seventy. But, nonetheless, she was quite impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorcas,

    As a journalist/writer/whatever, I am a notebook freak myself. I bet I easily have 70 or 80 notebooks of various kinds either in my office or at home. I went through a legal pad phase for a couple of years, but notebooks, especially those flip-open reporter-style notebooks, are the way to go. There is a whole new wave in notebooks, too -- the Moleskine, available in the various chain bookstores like B&N and Borders. They're a little pricey, but well-made and quite convenient. I am not as bad as some, but Moleskine (pronounced, I am told, "mol-uh-SKEE-na") has an entire cult of notebook fiends growing up around it. I refer anyone interested to www.moleskinerie.com and notebookism.com if you'd like to see how far notebook obsession can go. And it can go VERY far apparently.

    Robert Rhodes

    ReplyDelete