Sunday, July 13, 2008

Life and Lists and Love

As you may be aware, none of my old-enough-to children are dating, for a variety of reasons, lack of interest not being one of them.

I am wondering how much a mom should be involved in nudging, hinting, choosing, indicating, pointing in the general direction of, and so on.

Recently a mom I was talking to said, "You can not control who your children fall in love with!" Well, believe me, I know that already, having been oft informed of the importance of "chemistry" in more ways than not mixing chlorine with toilet bowl cleaner. But I also know that some heavy approval or disapproval on Paul's or my part could tip the balance one way or the other once things actually had a bit of momentum.

Matt says that guys have a "list" that includes every girl they know that they would consider a possibility. It doesn't take Barbie-doll looks or phenomenal talents to be on this list, I have gathered, just a general niceness, self-respect, Christian faith, and good grooming, which is surprisingly important, and a bit of zip and zing, as my Aunt Vina used to say. However, a sharp tongue can get you erased off the list pretty quickly, as can selfishness and excessive neediness.

The girls have lists also, I think, but are not as free as Matt is to tell me who is on them and what qualities are most important.

Confession time: As a mom, I have a few lists of my own, and when I meet a young man or woman I sometimes add them to my list and sometimes I even say a few prayers alerting God to their excellent potential.

This is the problem: the people on these lists keep pairing off with people who are not my children. It is very annoying. Is it so much to ask that half a dozen nice young ladies on my list wait till Matt is out of college and has a good job so he can choose among them? I didn't think so, but there they go, picking instead some weaselly young man who isn't nearly as cool or smart as Matt, and posting cozy pictures of the two of them on Xanga, leaning into each other on a creek bank.

Then there are all the guys on my list who haven't noticed Amy yet, or tasted her exquisite cinnamon rolls, and while I am in no hurry to marry her off, and I want her to taste boldly of life before she "settles down" as the Amish say, it seems they could have the decency to at least stay available until she's ready, but noooo, off they go, pairing up with some harebrained little thing with a hank of hair dangling down beside her nose, in the requisite picture of the two of them on Xanga.

You will notice here that I am being very vague and not mentioning names, because I will be in enough trouble as it is when my kids read this.

And they are going to accuse me of being a matchmaking Mennonite mom, but here at least I think I have the trump card, because I spoke at a Presbyterian church a while back, and mentioned to the women that among lots of other things going wrong that week, the girl at the top of my list for Matt had started dating someone else. And afterwards several women said they empathized so well with this, and one of them told me, almost in tears, that there was this nice neighbor girl who was so sweet and talented and pretty, and she ran in track, and she worked hard on the farm, and this lady so wanted her for her son, and now she's dating someone else. She looked heartbroken, telling me, and we had a real mom-to-mom sympathy moment there, believe me. So it's not just a Mennonite thing.

It's fun having grown-up children, but it's not easy.

Quote of the Day:
JoNell the nephew's wife and I are looking at an ad for the new Kit movie.
Me, to JoNell: Were you into American Girls?
Matt, interrupting: I've been into American girls since I was 14.

19 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I grinned and laughed the whole way through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding Matt's QOTD:

    While I was walking around in Petra, Jordan the other day, a young Muslim Jordanian came up to me and said, "I want to find a beautiful American girl. Can you help me?" I laughed and replied, "Nope. Sorry. Gotta find one of my own first."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I linked to this post (and the rendering of my Jordanian quote is a bit more accurate since I had time to recall more exactly) here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, controlling dating of our children is difficult but possible. Wise piece of advice and sincere talk can change attitudes a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know other mom's did this kind of thing. I have lists for my 2 beautiful daughters! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't wonder that your children might label you a matchmaker. What I wonder is if there's any mother of eligible young people out there who has escaped the label. All the efforts were of no avail, however, in my case. Shane is getting married to a girl I never met before he fell in love with her, and I approve wholeheartedly. Joel is dating someone I've known all her life, but never thought of as a potential mate until a month before he thought of it all by himself. I think prayer is the most important part of a mother's interest in seeing her children get wonderful spouses. It's nice though when they solicit advice, as our boys did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a list for my daughter too, and Matt might be one of them!! But she says she won't marry a man who isn't a OSU (Ohio State)fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that all moms do this much to the frustration of their offspring. Just remember that just because someone is dating doesn't mean that they HAVE to get married!Some of those currently paired off might be available in the future. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is way above my head. My children are quite young yet. My biggest concern for them is keeping ticks out of their hair. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Zach can vouch for those exquisit cinnamon rolls of Amy's - he told me he ate 5 for breakfast the other morning!!! -geneva

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think its best if moms just pray for future mates for their children, instead of always talking to their kids about it. Only God and your child is going to know what kind of person will be best suited for a life long soulmate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the last anonymous poster. (1:39 pm) God knows the right mate for each of your children and He'll see to it that they get together AT THE RIGHT TIME! He moved mountains to get my dh and me together and we've always know He was the one who orchestrated it -- even 39 years later (we've been married 37)! He'll do whatever it takes to get yours with the right mates -- you just pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hasn't Matt yet figured out that you can order American Girls out of the catalog?!!! Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  14. My, can I ever relate! We have two single males, kind of old by now - 27 & 35 years old. I have told them I could help them find a mate and it is a "NO,THANK-YOU!" situation. Then I remind them how I helped our son-in-law find a wife after our daughter/his wife had died; and do you not think she is a nice lady? Oh, yes, they agree she IS nice, but....

    Oh! {{sigh}},
    Sandra Miller

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the post! My children are still young, but I can imagine how it's going to be. :) The QOTD is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. You make me laugh. And......hooted at the quote. Just great. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a lot of single people (myself included) are kind of control freaks when it comes to relationships. We want to find someone for ourselves, and we don't want other people butting in, especially our parents. But in some cultures the parents actually arrange marriages and that works for them, so maybe we're the ones who need to change our attitude. On the other hand, if you get too pushy, the more you talk about someone, the less interested they're going to be in that someone. So good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Pay attention!" one mom told her seeking children.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Someday I will write the story of my daughter and son-in-law, soon to be married 4 years. We prayed for our son-in-law for at least a decade, if not longer, before we ever knew who he was.

    Common friends introduced the two and they knew almost immediately that they were right for each other. As they have gotten to know each other, they have discovered that their roots intertwiced, as they both grew up knowing many of the same people...just not each other. It was just God's perfect timing.

    We could not be more thrilled about the man God chose to cherish our daughter. All we had to do was pray...A LOT!!

    ReplyDelete