Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Research

I've always said that having children exercises your brain more than sitting in a classroom. (Actually the first chapter of Upstairs is about this.) Well, today I am wading through a list of titles such as, "Asymmetric Synthesis of Four Diastereomers of 3-Hydroxy-2,4,6-trimethylheptanoic Acid: Proof of Configurational Assignment" and "Allergens of the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassiana" and [this one makes sense at least]: "Effect of environmental intervention on mouse allergen levels in homes of inner-city Boston children with asthma"

I have also learned to use the term "Helminthosporium sativum" in everyday conversation.

Emily the lovely semi-invalid daughter was recently diagnosed with a strong allergy to a mold (Helmintho-yadayada) that grows in cool, wet, climates, on wheat and grasses. Which is to say, on millions of plants, all around us, all winter.

Sigh.

The doctor didn't know much about it except for the paragraph that came with the test results. It's a delayed-reaction immune-system sort of allergy, rather than a rash or wheezing, so no one seems to know much about it. So I have been doing lots of research, starting with our farmer friend Larry, who told me all he knew including the fact that last year the farmers planted at least 5 times as much wheat as normal (signifciant, perhaps) and referred me to Mark at the county extension office, who told me all he knew including the fact that there's residual helminthosporium in the air all the time but it really explodes in the cool, wet months and referred me on to the Jan the home economist who didn't know much except that we should for sure have a HEPA filter on the furnace.

What we want to know is when is the mold most prevalent, is it air/water/food-borne, is it the same as mold in bathrooms, is Paul bringing it home from the warehouse on his clothes, and what should Emily be doing to avoid it?

And, a big question, is it found in other areas of the country, and at what times of the year? And an even bigger question that won't be answered by county extension people or on any websites: do we need to ship Emily off somewhere else all winter, or is God telling us the whole family needs to relocate, or what??

Ok, gotta go read up on Organization and expression of the double-stranded RNA genome of Helminthosporium victoriae 190S virus, a totivirus infecting a plant pathogenic filamentous fungus.

Quote of the Day:
"You can tell it's a 'Plugger' blogging site because it has a big button that says, 'What's a blog?'"
--Emily, making fun of my lovely Blogger home page

7 comments:

  1. I was tested for allergies and they discovered Im allergic to every native tree and grass grown in Oregon along with dust, cat ,dogs, feathers etc.

    My husband put a hepa filter on the furnace and I also use a freestanding one in the bedroom at nights. It makes a world of difference. I use to end up in the emergency room every june.

    Not any more. I have ruined the corneas of my eyes twice to the point that I was put on bedrest and not allowed to open them for three days. This is all in the month of June from the pollen. The hepa filter has changed it all. The freestanding one in my bedroom coupled with the furnace one is just amazing. We got ours at Home Depot. They're a a little spendy but its cheaper than moving. The furnace one isnt pricey at all. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relocate?!! Oh please NO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With Emily's wellness being invaluable to you, I'm glad that the culprit allergen (or at least one) has been ID'd. My prayer is that a preventative-treatment plan will restore her health. Then when you become an "authority" on the subject, you will be able to steer other (rare) sufferers to the help they need. Give Emily a hug for me. -- Sara Gerig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Emily have the West Nile virus, or this new diagnosis what's been her problem all along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allergies... that is one thing we won't have in heaven. Bless you as you keep on the journey
    ~I~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post has left me wondering why I am not saying anything. I am not sure how to present this for fear that it sounds like I am trying to sell something, but I must needs speak.

    I have been taking nutritional supplements for over a year and although I have not suffered from allergies, I personally know people who have suffered, and have gotten freedom from their allergies through taking these supplements. I would love to give you more information and also talk to you about these products, and also to introduce you to others who have had great results.

    I am Willard Mast, currently stationed in El Salvador doing what a lot of people would consider missionary work, but I see it as being where I am called for now. My email address is huevosatld@gmail.com and I would love to talk with you.

    So I echo some of the others sentiments; don't relocate, don't become desperate; there is hope!

    Willard Mast

    There is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ribbit98--Emily still has the West Nile virus. She also has these newly-diagnosed allergies. These are related in that her immune system is very weak. We're not sure how all these factors connect.

    ReplyDelete