Monday, September 19, 2005

Goodbye and Hello

A hard day yesterday, attending Cynthia’s funeral and burial. But necessary, to be able to say goodbye, close that door, and move on.

And then soon after we came home in the evening Emily discovered that Fleabags had died. She (yes, we found a diagram in a book and she was a she) had had diarrhea earlier in the day and by evening she was gone. I feel terrible and Emily is distraught. Apparently Steven’s instincts were right and Fleabags was too young to leave her mother.

But, a few bright moments in a dark day:

I met Mrs. Darling. She talks and acts exactly like you’d expect from her blog. And she said she’s decided she’s going to write more like me—just daily happenings rather than scraping around in the depths of her heart. Smile. I told her to please keep being herself which I know she will anyway after maybe one attempt at being someone else. She was rather in a fluster at the moment, talking to several people at once, and she turned to her mother and said, "I guess I’ll see you at the website" when she meant to say "at the burial."

Then at the supper Paul and I met Jerry and Dorcas Hoover. Dorcas is the author of House Calls and Hitching Posts, the story of Dr. Lehman who treated the Amish in Ohio for many years. I was delighted to finally meet her and we had lots to talk about.

Jerry told Paul that he is known as "Dorcas’s husband," and Paul said, "I am too."

Dorcas H. and I have a number of uncanny similarities—same first name, both mothers of three boys and three girls (mine are aged 6-19; hers are 6-20), both married to Mennonite preachers, both writers, both being published by Good Books.

A few differences--I'm still on my first book; she is on something like her 5th or 6th book and has sold probably a hundred times as many copies as I have.

One day, one friend and one kitten gone, two new friends made.

Quote of the Day:
"I think my husband needs to write a book. That way he’ll know what it’s like to give birth."
--Dorcas Hoover

4 comments:

  1. I like "House Calls and Hitching Posts".......almost as much as I like "Ordinary Days". :)

    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor flea-bags. Maybe she got 'Parvo'. I have no idea if cats can get that..but dogs sure can.. and it takes them down very fast, with "scoots":) as one of the 1st symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was sooo nice to meet you. I was wishing later that I would have had time to really sit down and visit with you. I love nothing more than a good chat! Maybe sometime we can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your post reminded me that i still have that book to read..(house calls)it looks big,so i'm saving it for winter reading!But i've read your book twice now! and found it great both times!(Pauline gave it to me)when's the next one???=)

    ReplyDelete