Saturday, September 23, 2006

Many Hands

Today was the annual church cleaning and I was (yelp of panic) put in charge of cleaning the sanctuary.

High ceiling fans, acres of upholstery, hundreds of miniblind slats, endless woodwork. I figured I'd be there all day, along with the others assigned to the same job.

I arrived at 8:30 and Ana was there soon after. I began washing the pulpit with hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap. Ana started washing one bank of pews.

Arlis, the lone man, brought his ladder and started dusting the lights with a long-handled feather duster.

Carrie and Frances came and vacuumed and washed pews.

Sharon and Teresa started on the miniblinds.

Around 10 we had coffee and donuts.

I washed the woodwork all around the perimeter, then started on the windows.

At 10:30 I was astonished at our progress.

By noon we were all done. All the windows, all the pews, all the miniblinds. The entire carpet was vacuumed. The communion table was pushed back in place. And Teresa had put pretty fall-leaf arrangements on the windowsills.

What amazing things happen when we all work together.

Quote of the Day:
Emily: Mom, at your wedding did you have last-minute doubts or did you have peace from God and unfathomable joy?
Amy: My goodness, the questions you ask at 7:30 in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, where's *your* response to the question?

    -Anonymous Coward

    ReplyDelete
  2. To AC: at 7:30 in the morning I can barely answer "where's the jam?" let alone such a question as Emily's. The correct answer is that I had a little bit of panic and a lot of peace, but not necessarily unfathomable joy. I was a bride who knew this was God's will but didn't have her expectations very high (for complicated reasons), which all worked out well when I was astonished at how cool marriage turned out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dorcas sorry that I didnt make it to church cleaning but I was really sick! Ruth

    ReplyDelete