Monday, January 01, 2007

Various News Items

Having an article that was due last night and is only 3/4 done is the best inspiration I know for posting again.

Amy and her friends made it safely to Indiana. Thank you, God.

Paul is still sick. And so is Steven, a fact I did not discover until we were on the way to Salem to eat out with my brother's family, since he was outside playing until 5 minutes before we left and started coughing wretchedly in the car. I think he has never learned to sense and interpret what his body is telling him, which is why he will run outside barefooted in the worst weather. He ate barely half his meal and then lay down across two chairs and slept while I talked with my fine SIL Geneva.

Paul was recently asked to speak at the annual youth retreat at Bonners Ferry, Idaho, in March. I will also be involved, not sure to what degree.

Yes, this is a first for us and we are looking forward to it.

Next week I get to talk to all kinds of high-powered writers and wannabe's at the Mid-Valley Willamette Writers meeting about writing. Imagine, me telling someone else how to write. Well, they won't hear anything fancy. "Sit down. Get it done. Try not to get distracted by blogging."

Ever on guard, our faithful dog Hansie continues to protect our property from fierce invading hordes of cats, sheep, and cows.

Weddings are in the air! Two nephews and one niece announced their engagements in about three weeks' time. One happy couple is featured here.

Yesterday Ben, Steven, and Emily were the only family members at the church event welcoming the new year in, the first time they've been out so late without family adults around. It sounds like all went well.

Emily continues to come up with pithy sayings and tough questions. Such as this one, perhaps inspired by all the engagements: "So when do you all of a sudden think kissing isn't gross anymore?"

Amy and I are the last holdouts in the family against this horrible flu. Amy is off at Bible school, safe from the viruses, I hope. I am popping echinacea, garlic, and Vitamin C; eating oranges; and taking even more extreme measures. I heard fresh garlic is the best antibiotic, so this evening I made a salad, heavy on spinach, and added one fat, chopped clove of garlic. My breath is almost buckling the computer screen as I type, but so many in the family have stuffy noses that I don't think they'll notice.

Read the first letter of each paragraph for a special message just for you.

4 comments:

  1. Dorcas..shame on you for making me laugh. My ribs are so sore from all the coughing, but when I read your part about eating garlic and buckling the computer screen..I couldn't help myself..sore ribs or not.
    You do realize though that it will be nigh unto a miracle if you do NOT get the flu? Sorry to be the bearer of such disheartning news. :) Seriously though...I wouldn't wish this stuff on my worst enemy..but then again...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cleaver message

    Another "Mrs S"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I popped over from your Xanga site. Very creative message you made. I would never have thought up anything like that! Hope your family gets on the mend. Knock on wood- we seem to be fairly healthy right now.

    ReplyDelete