Saturday, March 14, 2009

Ohio So Far

I told the ladies at the United Bethel retreat that if they write letters or blog posts, they should not only say what's been happening, but answer the question, So What?

I am going to disregard that advice and just tell you what's been happening, postponing the so what's until I've had more time to think.

I'm staying at my friend Mary's house. Mary used to do stuff with me when I was first in Oregon, teaching school. I think she helped me grow up. If there are ways I haven't grown up, it isn't her fault.

I came here with a bad cold. Flying made it hideously worse. Mary pumped me up with pills, drops, teas, and juices, and I got through my talks without losing my voice or coughing. Amazing.
Mary's perky friend Leona gave me a backrub to end all backrubs. I mean it was to die for.

Someone who should be a P.R. person for--I don't know--the Republican party or something--rounded up over 60 ladies to meet at a restaurant yesterday where I was going to speak. I think the main publicist was Janae, who used to teach at Kasabonika Lake, in the wilds of Ontario, under Paul's supervision.

Ruby D. and her friends put on an amazing retreat last night and today. From the food to the decorations to the organization to the general warm and welcoming atmosphere, it was a good place to be.

Oh, the connections.
Rosie, whom I met one time when she and I each had a two-year-old boy and a baby girl. I just remember that instant bond with someone in the same boat.
Alma, who was in the youth group with my brothers.
Laura, my brother's sister-in-law.
Priscilla, who was pregnant with twins at the mission staff orientation way back when.
Lory, who was Amy's friend at Bible school.
and lots more.

Good stuff.
But I am still trying to process all the so what's and what it all means.

2 comments:

  1. Dorcas~ it was great to finally meet you in person for the first time, after all the times that I've read your monthly column and followed your family's life via your blog. ~Kathy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "so what about it" question was a point I latched on to, and I don't intend to forget it anytime soon. My blog may very well never be the same because of you! =) Angela Heatwole

    ReplyDelete