Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Flu

About a month ago, after nursing my family through two months of almost constant sickness, I succumbed to the bug. It was awful. The worst part of it was that I simply couldn’t kick back and be sick. Everyone kept pestering me with questions and waking me up with urgent requests.

Since I write about the trivia of my life, I described my experience in my Letter from Harrisburg column in the paper, attempting to put a humorous twist on what I saw as the inevitable result of signing up to be a mom and coming down with the flu.

I honestly was not trying to get revenge by writing about my experience. In fact, everyone I wrote about got to preview the article with full veto power. But something lovely and entirely unexpected came out of it.

I am once again sick with the flu, a different strain this time, with a sandpaper throat and leaky-faucet nose, which is not a lovely experience. But my family is treating me like a queen.
"Can I do anything for you?"
"You stay in bed and I’ll take care of things."
"Shall I make you some tea?"
"Are you as miserable as you look?"
"Do you have a headache?"

I thought it was impossible, but here I am, a feverish mom of six swaddled in blankets and heating pads, free to be sick until I get well. God moves in mysterious ways his wonders to perform.

Quote of the Day—
"It’s called ‘casserole,’ from which comes the Greek word for ‘Mennonite.’"
--Matt, when Aunt Bonnie brought a hot dish and Ben wondered what it was.

6 comments:

  1. Sister, you may have done your fellow sister/mothers a great service. As others read this they may change their ways around a sick mother, God bless you and get well soon.

    The quote was right on! We Mennonites are so predictable! PTL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truthseeker...I have to ask. Is being predictable a good thing?

    Ag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would Matt please give the ingredients of a "Mennonite" casserole. In other words, of what is a Mennonite made of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ag, nice of you to ask. Yes I think that predictability can be good. It can mean the we have reached a position of stability in life and service to God. Our family and our church brethren will know how we will act or function in the stresses of life.

    However, if our predictability is that we are so ingrown within our culture, then it is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Good perspective! Thunderous applause!

    Ag

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Ag you make me blush! Thank you for such compliments!

    ReplyDelete