Friday, May 08, 2020

Ask Aunt Dorcas--The Mommy Wars

Aunt Dorcas

Hoping to make my advice column a regular feature, I put out a call for questions and was rewarded with half a dozen that I hope to address on Saturdays to come.

This one struck a nerve:

How does one navigate this world of “mommy wars”? (Vaccinations, schooling, etc.)
--a mom of five

Moms have always been passionate.

When I had small children, the issues that mothers felt strongly about were using birth control or not, breast or bottle feeding, natural foods vs. processed, and spanking or not.

I don’t recall any heated arguments among my peers, but I recall feeling shame for disagreeing with the prevailing opinions in the room, all of which were strong and yes, passionate, but never hostile. There was always that one mom who had the book with all the answers, which she would give to you if your baby was fussy or you didn’t breastfeed.

So Mommy campaigns are nothing new. Dysfunction is not new either, and shame is as old as Eden. But in my opinion there’s a new level of crusading, dysfunction, and shaming in the online world, particularly in that swath of the internet where moms hang out.

Social media have been a blessing to moms, providing connection and communication at a stage of life when it’s hard to get out and do things with friends. I often look back at my children's baby years and think what a lifesaver it would have been to have email or facebook.

So, for moms today, the online world is where your friends hang out and your sister posts pictures of her baby. It’s the best source for new decorating and bullet journal ideas. Thoughtful people post interesting observations. Of course you want to be there.

Until everything goes south and the mommy wars begin. Here’s a hopefully-hypothetical situation:

One day you have your husband take a picture of you holding your baby outside on a windy autumn day. The baby is beautiful, the leaves are blowing, your hair looks nice for once. You feel proud and happy about this baby and that moment. You post a picture with a happy caption.

Suddenly the comments and messages pop up. Um, should you really take your baby outside like that without making sure he’s dressed warmly?? And even, what kind of mom are you? 

That mom on Instagram with the 10,000 followers and the refurbished log cabin and the five lovely kids all dressed like the Bride in Revelation, in fine linen, clean and white, every day, along with leather sandals of course, that you started following? And then you were so thrilled when she followed you back?

Well. That mom sends you a private message, just to encourage you to think about your baby’s core temperature and his sense of bonding with you and also his little ears and the possibility of an ear infection, especially if you bottle-feed, which she has kind of caught on that you do. No judgment, she says. Really.

The next day that same mom posts a long thoughtful post on Instagram featuring her baby all cuddly in a thick cream-colored knitted blanket, with only his round little face showing. She writes in the caption about how important it is to surround our children with warmth, that this teaches them bonding and comfort, starting in the womb, when they are safe and loved at your core body temperature that God made at the optimal degree where a child’s brain absorbs the greatest sense of security. Half a degree down and they show signs of distress and you know, she just wants to kindly speak out about moms who gauge a baby’s comfort by their own and don’t consider that babies have a much smaller body mass, so they get cold faster, and they don’t have the words to communicate this discomfort. The damage can show up years later in children who always need a security blanket and adults who are nervous and anxious and always pulling sweaters on and off, like women during menopause, or men who pull all the blankets to their side of the bed, trying to recreate the security of the womb. She’s done her research. There’s a connection. She knows about this.*

That’s when you hold your baby close, safe and warm, and start crying, feeling terrible, terrible, terrible, down to your core, where your body temperature has become icy cold. She’s talking about you. You’re a bad mom, a failure, who will never be good enough.

It isn’t safe out there.

Or maybe your mom used the Ezzos’ method for getting her babies on a sleeping and eating schedule, and you turned out ok, so you’re wondering if anyone still does that and if so, do they recommend it? All you’re after is information and personal experiences.

You post on Mommy101, a facebook group that I am not part of but I’ve heard plenty about.

An all-out battle erupts in the comments. Some are certain you will spoil your child rotten if you let them dictate their own schedule. It’s all part of a liberal scheme to destroy the family, and a 4-hour schedule is the only thing that’s going to save us. This is how God designed it! We can tell from the Old Testament and the 4-hour work shifts in the tabernacle and also the symbolism in the names of Isaiah’s children. Maher-Shalal-Hashbaz. Swift to the spoil, hasten to the prey. It’s actually about how quickly a mother’s milk spoils in the child’s stomach when they eat on demand aka “hasten to the prey.”* See?

Others reply with shock, outrage, and horror. Babies are not robots! How dare you put your own agenda and the clock ahead of a baby’s hunger and need for bonding? It’s all because of the influence of Bill Gothard and homeschooling and conservatives and that judgmental controlling spirit that still pervades the Mennonite churches.

The flames shooting from the phone burn your hand and scorch your eyelashes. You set the phone down in shock. My livin’ stars. Where did that come from?

You only wanted to get some friendly advice.

It’s not safe out there. It’s wrong. It’s cruel to all the young moms who need support and a safe place to connect.

What do you do?

Here’s what I suggest:

1. Don’t contribute to the fray. Encourage, share your experiences, gently type your opinion. But don’t sink below that line into shame, hostility, and judgment. Even if you know what’s true. Even if you could obliterate someone else with your knowledge and logic. You know in your heart where that line is.

We don’t always recognize how shaming our words might be until they’re spoken and gone. I remember when my friend Kay and I both had nursing babies. One day she told me that she thinks she’s dehydrated, and her husband said maybe she should get in the habit of drinking coffee in the morning, just to get more fluids.

“Oh no! Not coffee!” I exclaimed with all the passion of superior knowledge. “Coffee dehydrates you even more!”

She looked a bit deflated. I don’t think I had the sense to apologize then, but I’m apologizing now. It was none of my business. Besides, recent studies show that coffee doesn’t dehydrate like we always thought it did. I could have smiled and nodded. My goodness. She was all about taking good care of that baby. That's what we need to affirm.

2. Pursue personal healing. You won’t have the clarity and the tools to deal with others if you are operating out of insecurity, unhealed abuse, and a shaky sense of self.

For me, one aspect of healing has been especially important both online and off: learning that others don’t get to decide about me. They don’t get to define who I am.

I have a deep-rooted bug in my internal code that has me believing that anything that anyone says about me is true. More specifically, anything negative that people say or imply, that is automatically true.

Of course it’s not logical, but the wrong impacts on a childish brain will have bizarre effects.

So, if Sally thought I was a bad minister’s wife because I hadn’t visited the new mom in church yet, then I was a bad minister’s wife. It was true. She got to decide. I had to try even harder to be good and jump through all the hoops.

If Harvey told his wife who told her sister who told me that he thinks women have no business being writers, and I ought to take care of my family better and take my laundry in from the line before everyone goes by on Sunday morning, then suddenly I’d be in a panic. I so badly wanted to write, but here was someone confident and influential saying I shouldn’t. And of course he got to say. So I would bring in the towels on Saturday night and neglect the gift that was in me. I let someone else define who I am, what I’m like, and what I should be doing.

Put in those terms, it sounds completely ridiculous. But this is baggage that some of us carry, and you would be amazed at how many people, particularly in the social media world,  are willing to step right into that weakness and inform us precisely and regularly who we are and what we’re like.

This is the healthier way:

Other people are allowed to have opinions. They can think whatever they want. They have that liberty.

But there is a line drawn between them and you. Their opinions don’t define you, nor are their judgments or their confident statements somehow the final truth on you and the universe.

Your own heart isn’t the most reliable metric either, being easily deceived and awash in hormones.

This is why you have the Word and the Holy Spirit. This is where the truth is found about who you are. That voice is gentle, persistent, nurturing, and kind. Learn to recognize it. It will keep your identity on solid ground.

3. Set boundaries. 

Others are allowed to think and say what they want on their own pages.

You get to decide about you and yours.

You are allowed to unfollow the cool mom in the log cabin, delete the negative comment on your post, miss out on the discussion that everyone else is talking about, and block the toxic people.

Monitor that feeling in your gut. Leave the conversation if you feel the tension rising. Separate yourself from the person who is out to destroy your joy. 

You get to decide and define. The healthier you are, the better you can discern between discussion and argument, toxic and merely clumsy, enough and too much, wise advice and foolish ideas.

If you’re dealing with hormones, depression, and not enough sleep, don’t engage in the wild discussions online. 

Even if you’re perfectly healthy and healed and on top of things, you should only engage if you’re sure you have something valuable to offer or learn, and the comments don’t derail your mental health.

Invest your passion into your family, your interests, and select people who build you up.

It’s time for moms to get passionate about making their online conversations safe for everyone.

That’s what I think.

*I made that up. My daughter Emily read this and said, "Mom! Is that really a thing?" NO. I promise.

29 comments:

  1. As always your writing is rich as well as inspiring and entertaining! Thanks for speaking your mind while reminding us to do the same, but with Grace and Guidance, not Judgement and Shame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was speaking to myself as much as anyone else.

      Delete
  2. My thoughts exactly. Thumbs up to someone that can put it into words so perfectly! Thank you and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and yes to all the mommy shaming. I haven't had social media until recently but I am always amazed at the times people just go crazy about the picture of a child sitting unstrapped in their car seats while the vehicle is obviously parked in a parking lot or the baby who only has a onesie on and is outside! It's nice to know that there are a lot of perfect mom's out there and I don't happen to be one of them. I have several times said something that has impacted my child in a positive way and hope to have the next person to be glad with me but there is always someone that says yeah but it will probably have a negative side effect in the long run! I guess we all need those things to happen so we are more careful what we say the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are good examples of the dangers moms face online.
      Thanks for helping to make the internet a safe place.

      Delete
  4. That was well written, just in time for Mother's Day;) Life giving and humorous to this young mom who is learning all about it... Makes me think of the verse, "Let your speech be seasoned with salt."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing read! Thanks for sharing your heart! Many if these things have been a struggle for me on some level! Blessings and!❤🥰😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this wasn't your topic and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm compelled to point out that many times we do need to listen to others. Their so-called opinions can actually be valid truths we're ignoring. That said, thanks for the excellent post again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think it's two sides of the same coin.The personal health and spiritual discernment that make you draw boundaries will also make you open to wisdom that you ought to heed.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Dorcas! I run across some of these conversations between others and am amazed! Thanks for addressing this problem! It scares me to connect with some of my "friends". So I hover low to the ground and try to stay positive and not stirring others up which can be hard since I am such an opinionated person and live in an advice giving place. I think God even let things happen to me so I would be more compassionate, like having a miscarriage and looking back at how uncaring I was to someone else!
    Our family also learned from a personal development coach that it is not about me! You can have a lovely conversation with someone you have no common interests with or don't even agree with if you make it all about them, asking questions, listening and not thinking of what you want to share next and asking them another question. You know, paying attention to what is important to them! That has saved me in so many conversations that could have been a disaster!
    Now I have not avoided every disaster! Every once in awhile I just get so upset at how rude a few can be and I speak up. I don't know if I do it right but try to exert myself trying not to get beat down by them and letting them know!
    We do seem like oddballs and it can be lonely, but now that all 7 have grown up and become amazing people and parents, it's OK! I have been vindicated! Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your 7 are a powerful vindication, I would say!
      I really really like your approach to conversations and making them about the other person.

      Delete
    2. We need people like you in this world. Thanks for that post! Keep it up!

      Delete
  8. Love it, Aunt Dorcas. And I'm a daddy, not a mommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daniel! Dads are welcome here.

      Delete
  9. I'm of the male species as well and I think your post is excellent. These mommies of today that have everything figured out and all the answers make me tired. We can listen graciously to everyone, but we need to also be true to ourselves. When I was growing up my parents had principles for sure, but in a lot of ways, we children made up life as we went. Swam in the creek when it was freezing cold in December and February. Rode bike everywhere, including up and down our country road at night in pitch black darkness. Roamed in the woods to our hearts content. Oh, and drank out of the creek as well. Ate corn on the cob out of the corn silage. (I think I was the only one who developed that taste!) If my parents worried much about us, I didn't pick up on it. They didn't micromanage, that's for sure. I might get Covid 19 tomorrow, but so far my immune system seems quite strong. Three cheers for the "make it up as you go" moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to all of this.
      I thought my kids were free-range, but your experiences were even wilder than theirs!
      And regarding having it all figured out vs. making it up as you go: thirty-some years of observation are telling me that the floundering parents do better in the long run. When you're in the middle of it, you don't see how that could possibly be true.

      Delete
  10. This is a very encouraging read. Probably one I will re-read. I am not a biological Mommy....but this post resonated deeply with me. Yes and yes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth Anna. Maybe it resonated with you because you're out there "mothering" people who come across your path.

      Delete
  11. I wish I had read this as a young bride......I moved to a large Mennonite community to marry my sweet husband.......I had no idea what I was marrying into. The new people around me were quite confident and strong in the Way Things Should Be and I was a bit of a wild child. It was awfully rocky on almost every level. I would hide to nurse my first child because as that point he was considered too old (past 6 mon) and therefore ‘gross’. There were many more things. I had never been so afraid of people in my life. I had never lived with such a dramatic swirl of intense and intrusive viewpoints!

    Dorcas, you’ve absolutely nailed the remedies......my relationships here are the healthiest now that they have ever been. I had to learn the things you listed here......and I remember the shock I felt when once someone made a comment at which I realized I had changed the way things were done, simply because I had done something differently and the idea stuck. That was all I did. It was minor incident, but a lightbulb moment.

    I want to learn from all that pain......I want to pass on blessing, not forward the cycle of pain. I want to speak truth, but beautifully entwine it with grace. I want to learn when to listen and when, on occasion, it is needed speak boldly against the truly terrible. Because that is the troubling thing.......with so much opinion and such being flung about, far too often the real wrongs can be smoothed over when revealed. I know; I didn’t speak up when I should have on a few occasions, to my shame. Maybe you could address THAT sometime? I’ll be waiting�� thank you for using your gift to help people grow, Dorcas! You certainly have contributed to my spiritual experience, many times! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a ride you've been on. I'm so proud of you for pushing forward, nursing that baby, and learning to not be afraid of the people who know the Way Things Should Be. [I love that line.]
      And yes, the truly terrible can get ignored when everyone is being insistent about coming to sewing circle or washing your windows at the right time.

      Delete
  12. What impresses me most about this post is the sheer imagination of the whole Maher-Shalal-Hashbaz bit... and all the rest of it. I wasn't sure which stories were true and which fiction, but I got the point, and appreciate it. Good for this people pleaser to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alarming thing is how easy it was to make up a whole theory AND "evidence" about keeping babies warm.

      Delete
  13. I saw your post in The Mennonite Game, which led me here. Human emotions are wishy-washy, up and down. You can't go wrong trusting in the Word. I can tell people trust (and sometimes are amused) by your advice. Thanks, Dorcas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like all your advice as Aunt Dorcas. It suits you. :) But this is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete