Sunday, March 21, 2021

Ask Aunt Dorcas: Breaking Their Wills


 Dear Aunt Dorcas,

 Do you have any thoughts or advice to share on the concept of breaking your child’s will? I am referring specifically to Michael and Debbie Pearl’s suggested parenting plan.

                                                     -Erin

Dear Erin--

I’m told that Ali Abdullah Saleh, the former president of Yemen, once said that leading Yemen was like dancing on the heads of snakes.

That’s how I feel addressing this question. But I feel it’s important, so let’s poke it with a stick and see what happens.

Let’s establish a few basics about raising children that we agree on:

1. Human babies are the most helpless of any animal newborns. Baby chicks peck their way out of the egg and pretty soon they’re running to the food dish on their little scratchy feet. Baby sea turtles head for the ocean on their own determined little flippers.

But baby humans will lie there and die without constant and long-term care.

2. It takes a long time to raise a human. We are born not knowing language, survival skills, or how to function in a community. Each of us needs to be nurtured, protected, and taught. Children with minimal care might survive physically, if they’re lucky, but if they aren’t taught the complex rules of interacting in a family, culture, and community, they will not thrive or be healthy members of society.

3. It’s the parents’ job to raise the child into a fully-functioning adult. They might feel that they can’t possibly be grownup enough to be in charge, but if God sends them a baby, then they’re the ones responsible for it. It is their job now. 

4. Raising a child is a big task, and it’s not easy, but we’ve made it more complicated than it ought to be.

We’ve all seen what happens when a child doesn’t get what they need. From the sad barefoot child in the grocery cart ahead of you on a cold day to the untamed wildcat that tears through your house and bounces on the couches to the kids who bullied you at school to the little girl in front of you at church who sat perfectly still until she happened to play with her braids a little bit and her dad reached over and gave her a vicious pinch on the arm that made her sit perfectly still again and filled her love-hungry eyes with tears.

[That last example is pulled from real life, and 25 years later I still want to reach forward and show that black-suited dad what a real pinch feels like.]

So we know what’s at stake if we don’t parent well, and we want desperately to get it right. I think this is why the subject is so fraught with controversy—it matters that much. Despite Scripture, our own childhoods, watching others, and a million books on parenting, there are no simple equations, and the math doesn’t always come out the same for everyone.

We want to get it right. Sometimes it’s because we love our children so much, and other times it’s because we fear the shame if they go wrong.

The first line of the book Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is famous and wise: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

We could all, right now, number our notebook paper from one to ten and list ten kinds of unhappy families, but I prefer to look at what the happy and healthy families have in common.

Off the top of my head, here are eight traits.

Basic stability--Dad isn’t going to walk off. Mom isn’t going to be drunk at breakfast.

Safety--Children don’t live under a cloud of fear and uncertainty.

Nurture—Children are cared for physically and emotionally.

Cohesion—family members are for and not against each other.

Grace—Children are allowed and expected to be children. Behavior is addressed without destroying the worth of the child.

Clarity—children have a good idea of what’s expected of them

Competence—children know they have what it takes to do and contribute what’s expected

Decency--people treat each other with basic respect and kindness

Within those parameters, there’s room for enormous variation. In his book Walking His Trail: Signs of God Along the Way, Steve Saint, son of the martyred missionary Nate Saint, mentions the differences in the childhood homes of his father and aunt, Rachel Saint, and her eventual missionary partner, Elisabeth Elliot.

The Saints were a laidback West Coast family. Schedules and proper manners didn’t matter too much. They valued creativity, fun, and discovery. One weekend, as I recall, the boys wanted to take the family car apart, and their dad shrugged and said it was fine as long as they had it back together to take to work Monday morning.

Elisabeth, on the other hand, was a Howard from the East Coast, and the Howards did things right. Schedules, manners, meals, tidiness, disciplines, all kinds of things. 

I also read The Making of a Christian Family, Elisabeth Elliot’s story of her family, and the properness of it all nearly gave me hives. Interestingly, though, her family loved to laugh, and she relates how some were wonderful storytellers or mimics, and they would shriek and laugh at the dinner table.

Rachel and Elisabeth didn’t work out so well together on the mission field, as one might expect, but the point here is that despite their wildly different upbringing, both women were effective missionaries and good people.

As long as the basics are in place, there’s lots of room for variation.

However, I don’t think there’s room for the Pearl method of “breaking the child’s will.”

This is why: It presumes a basic enmity between parent and child. It puts them against each other.

[Edit: Just to be clear, this "spank until the will is broken" idea was around when my husband was a child, he says, long before the Pearls started their teaching, and it came from multiple sources. So I'm referring more to the general principle than the Pearls' specific methods.]

This is painful for me to address, because it’s too much like the approach I used with my older children.

Somehow, between my birth family, preachers, other parents, and books, I had picked up this idea that my children had a huge and terrifying entity inside that was going to swell up like mutant bread dough and destroy both them and us if we didn’t keep it punched down.

The primary method to accomplish this was punishment, either spanking or some other unpleasant consequence. The general idea was that if it didn’t work, you weren’t doing it enough, kind of like multi-level marketing nutrient supplements.

Well, we had very spirited children, and I loved them to pieces. But I was also terrified of them ending up in prison or Hell, or both, if I let that bread dough ooze over the edge of the bowl.

I was also afraid of what other people thought. This whole era was complicated by my own unresolved issues.

I remember asking other moms for advice, and how utterly unhelpful it was. “Sounds to me like he has an anger problem! You need to deal with that.” “You just have to spank until their crying changes to a submissive cry.” “I think he has a demon. He’s just so crazy wild.”

We didn’t have a lot of time or resources for therapy, or even the initiative to seek it out. Paul was a much better parent than I was, but I was the one with the children all the time.

Thankfully, things slowly got better, and by the time the last of the six came along, parenting was different. I had let go of some of the shame and terror, and was better able to relax and enjoy my children.

The “breaking their will” idea presumes the complete dominion of the parent, like a slave master over a slave, or a conquering king over his defeated subjects.

In the Pride and Prejudice series from the 1990s, the best version ever made, Mrs. Long is talking to Mrs. Bennett about everything Mr. Wickham had been up to. Since I don’t want to watch all five hours to get the quote right*, here’s what I recall: “Intrigues! Seductions! Drunken routs, in which more things were broken than pots and heads!”

*I mean, I do, but you know what I mean.

When you go about breaking the will, more things are broken than pots, heads, and wills. Worthiness, hope, relationships, a sense of safety, love.

How much better for parents and children to have a sense of being with and for each other. Yes, the parents are the responsible adults, and this isn’t to say they need to be the buddies, watching indulgently as a toddler pokes at your cat’s eyes or endlessly playing whatever the 4-year-old demands. But they can convey a sense of being in the same family and on the same team. “We all want to make this work. We want good things for each other.”

With my younger children, I realized that much of what I thought was that ominous bread dough rising (the Sinful Nature!) was just kids being kids. This is what children do. Usually they need a hug, a peanut butter sandwich, and a nap instead of another lecture or spanking.

Most kids want to do what’s right and appropriate, if only because they want people to like them. You can give them basic information about behavior and consequences without shaming them down to their souls.

“It’s not ok to kick the dog. It hurts him.”

--Kick—

“Let’s go inside. Unfortunately, if you kick the dog you can’t play outside today. We’ll try again tomorrow.”

Once I realized how ridiculous, fear-based, and even abusive my methods had been, everything improved. I liked my children. They liked me. We cared for each other. They wanted to please me. Things were never perfect, but perfect isn't the goal. Caring for each other is the goal, and safety, competence, and all that.

My grownup kids have forgiven me and given the refreshing drink of grace. I am so grateful. I still pray for God to heal whatever I damaged.

You don’t have to freak out, dominate, and control. You can be the parent and guide them to adulthood with the loving authority of Jesus.

Your family will have its own personality, flavor, and priorities, and that’s ok. If you hear or read parenting advice that smells of shame, abuse, and fear, you are allowed to ignore it.

Pursue your own healing and being like Jesus, because your children are going to be a lot like you.

That’s what I think. I wish you well.

Aunt Dorcas

----
Photo by Sophie Carlson. [Designed and sent of her own volition--how sweet of her!]
Check out my books at Muddy Creek Press.

56 comments:

  1. THANK YOU. This is the best parenting advice I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise,brave woman! You are doing the older teaching the younger quite well these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is comforting to me that I’m not the only older mother with regrets , and yes our older children have also given us the drink of grace 😍 Your advice is spot on I think ! Especially the phrase , we have made it more complicated then it ought to be .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a confirmation of what the Lord has been teaching me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good counsel. I read one of the Pearl's books and didn't like it enough to follow their advice. I didn't want to break my children's will, I wanted to train it in following the path of the Savior. Stubbornness can be a great trait when the person is firm and immovable in keeping the commandments; curiosity is wonderful when searching the scriptures for answers. And there are lots of other examples. I wanted our children to trust and obey us so I could lead them to trusting in and obeying God. If they knew I had their best interests at heart and wouldn't trick them, then I figured that I could teach them to have faith in their Heavenly Father who loves them even more than I do and would never trick them or be mean to them. Did it work? Sort of. Some of our children don't attend church anymore, a couple say they don't believe in anything anymore. But they are respectful of others' beliefs and are productive citizens and all are great fun to be with.
    I have a theory about children--some will turn out well no matter what kind of family they are born (or adopted) into; others will turn out badly no matter what kind of family they are born (or adopted) into; and still others could go either way, depending on what kind of family they are born (or adopted) into. And another belief of mine is that God puts us into the right families and knows the end from the beginning, and His grace is sufficient for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joanna Marini Dindinger3/22/2021 7:22 AM

    Thank you, SO much for this funny, painful, truthful and incredibly helpful piece of mom-to-mom wisdom. I pray for wisdom every day. Things like this are an answer to that prayer. I pray for healing for especially my oldest son when I was so wounded and confused and trying so hard and doing it all wrong then. I was heavily influenced by the Pearls, and others like them, and just thought I “wasn’t doing it enough” like you mentioned. I still think they have good things to say, but that whole idea of completely overpowering a child’s mind, will and emotions is not right.
    Anyway, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great advice, Dorcas. One thing that really bothers me about the Pearls advide is their arrogance, declaring that If you do A, the result will be B. Period. But children are individuals. Even siblings may differ greatly in their personality, needs, and motivations. May God give all godly parents wisdom to tailor their parenting style for their individual children, yet avoid the pitfalls of favoritism. We see how favoritism worked out with Isaac and Rebekah's children, and their son Jacob's family. LRM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it in that way, but you're so right. We all long for an easy if/then approach with parenting, but that doesn't seem to be God's method.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly, too often we live by the question of What Will People Think? instead of What Would Jesus Do?
    Lord, have mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for this. I cringed when I saw the Pearl's mentioned, but you didn't disappoint in your response!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. This is grace-filled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! I see parallels between your parenting journey and my own. I messed up a lot when they were young. Especially our oldest 2. I am humbled by their grace & forgiveness now that they are adults. And I pray that God will heal & redeem the places where I messed up.

    Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp shaped our parenting more than the Pearl's even though the Pearl's book was given to us by our pastor as a baby gift.
    But still I wish I could go back and redo the first 10 years of my parenting. As Jesus healed my past I was able to love and nurture better. But all I can do is love them well now.
    Thank you for your well written article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for understanding and sharing.

      Delete
  13. Thank you!! Thank you!!
    This is exactly what we young moms need to be hearing from the older ladies in our lives. Such wisdom and truth spoken from the voice of experience. The last paragraph is absolutely loaded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. As usual, absolutely spot on! You expressed all of this so clearly, in such a readable style - another winner!! What I am wondering is this: will you be publishing an 'Aunt Dorcas answers' book? Please tell me you will be - such a book is needed - so it can be given at showers of all kinds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sweet of you. I'm toying with the idea, but honestly I'm terrified. I like to say what I think, but I don't want to be an Influence.

      Delete
    2. I would think that a modest and slightly tongue-in-cheek title along the lines of "Aunt Dorcas Answers" would be "Dear Abby"-ish enough to not sound like it's claiming to be the One True Way. Just saying.

      Delete
  15. Very well written. I was given a Pearl book by someone I respected and unfortunately thought I needed to do things the Pearl way . My older children had to experience a mama that was more about harshness than mercy and endure more 'breaking of the will' than forming the will. Thankfully God put people in my life to show me a better way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us relate to your story.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for putting it into words! For myself, it was when we moved out of the mennonite community (for work, not because we were at odds) that I started to consider what I wanted for my children- not what was expected of my children. They were full of ambition and action, not laid back and quiet. I am so thankful that our children were quite young when we realized that much of our child training was influenced by a peer pressure that wasn't necessarily healthy for our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, for an honest evaluation and a necessary change.

      Delete
  17. Thank you, Dorcas, for taking the time to share these beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  18. Bless you, Dorcas. And thank you, Holy Spirit, for speaking. I needed to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was a child whose parents believed my will must be broken. What actually happened was I learned to deceive to keep them happy because their will was -they don't get embarrassed, I do. This co-dependency lasted into my adulthood and in some ways became more troublesome. I set some boundaries and when they were ignored I ended the relationship because I realized they wouldn't learn to respect me until they took responsibility for their own actions. I'm not sorry I did this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also seen this pattern, where the supposedly broken-willed children simply become devious and deceitful.
      I'm sorry your story has been so painful.

      Delete
  20. I really appreciate your post! It makes me feel so badly for my older kids. And especially the oldest. That one was/is very strong-willed, and being in a conservative church, we were to keep our children trained to be seen and definitely not heard. But seen only in perfect discipline and order. So we worked vigorously to make a model child out of her. We got loads of advice on how to do that, and she was constantly under a microscope. 😭😭😭
    My husband had a serious anger problem also, and as she got older and the more babies came along, it turned abusive. (I was also being abused in every way except physical, but he was physically abusive to the children) Life became unbearable over the years as she grew up, and at 17, she left home. She never came back. Now we see her about once a year, and then only by chance. She wants basically nothing to do with us. She is an adult in her 20s, and I would give anything in the world to be able to do it over!
    One thing I need to add, my husband has found the Lord in the past year, and has tried to make restitution with the older ones. But it will take many more prayers and tears for them to know that it’s real. She, especially, doesn’t trust him one bit, and I’m not sure she does me either, because I let it happen.
    People! Let them be children! Believe me when I say, if you try to follow Pearl teaching, you will regret it!!!! The heartache is REAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a powerful, painful story. I wish you mercy and miracles as you move forward.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for this wise post. Absolutely detest the Pearl model and the enmity it sets up between parents and children. Children do want so badly to please, and appealing to that is way more effective than creating a human Frankenstein. I didn't agree that Paul was a better parent than you. That sounds like you being hard on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's kind of you. Paul was much more patient and calm. I was more in tune with all the little feelings. How's that?

      Delete
  22. This is good!

    As far as M Pearl goes, I think the difficulty lies in being able to gather the good without the dross. And who of us can that not be said of too?
    We raised our four children using much of his advise and it has been marvelous in many ways. Do I regret anything? of course, just like anyone else, no matter what methods you chose, but the fruits of obedience and joy have been a true blessing.

    Sometimes I wonder why God chooses to give children to us mortals who are so unfit for the job. And by the time we do get some experiential wisdom, the kids are grown! :)

    Thanks for being honest and helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I found much of their advice very helpful, and much of it horrifying, and I was glad for the helpful parts. Like, I love thrift shopping but I don't require that everything in a given store be my exact size before I'll shop there, you know?

      Delete
  23. It was so healing to read this post, each paragraph like a gulp of fresh spring water. I was raised on the teaching of breaking a child's will and I'm still healing from that. It was breathtaking for me to discover that God is not at all like that dominating form of control and power, but instead uses power in a much different way... a way that has worked all things together for GOOD in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know I think every parent wonders "if I had only done this or that, would things have turned out better?" I know there are times I thought I spanked too much and times I thought I didn't spank enough. I never wanted to break my child's will, but sometimes, out of pure exhaustion, I just wanted him to mind me right now!!! I'm of the opinion that a swat on the butt never hurt a child if administered at the right time and not viciously. I do NOT approve of using a switch on a 6 month old child (as I've heard the Pearls suggest). Like most folks that believe in spanking, I believe there is a distinct difference between a spanking and a beating. I tried to only spank when my hard-headed boy committed a gross infraction in direct opposition to something I'd spoken to him multiple times before. Not for when he just made childish mistakes. He was a child and he was going to make mistakes.

    I know the to spank or not to spank debate is a long hot one, but I think each parent needs to decide what works for their child. Spanking worked for me, but my cousin's daughter had Oppositional Defiance Disorder and spanking actually made her behavior worse. So we all need to look to God for direction when it comes to disciplining our children, not to books, or how other parents are doing it.

    Sincerely,
    Shannon Combs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for this wise, compassionate post.

    I heard 2 wonderful parenting tips in the last few years that have helped me so much: if you want to help your older children, work on your OWN ISSUES. That model and your own growth help them more than if you focus on them and improving them. And the other concerns the parents who believe that their excellent parenting produced these high-achieving, amazing, wonderful kids. If you think your efforts are responsible for that, then you also need to take blame for the faults of your kids. The point is, that parents are only part of the picture for the kind of person that emerges from childhood, and we should just try to do our best and not feel entirely responsible for the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have pondered this article deeply, as it describes so many things I've encountered and experienced. In our 6 years of parenting, I think we've made every mistake in the book. At least enough to humble us greatly. Much of the advice we were given was of the break their will gendre. I'll put some of that in our Mistakes file. Also in our How Not To file, under Walking With Parents With a Struggling Child. Two questions: is "the rod" a New Testament teaching? Also, is a "broken will" synonymous with a "submitted will"?

    ReplyDelete