Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stuff

I was talking to Matt last night and found out of another layer in the exquisite timing of Tuesday morning. You might recall that Emily read Matt's post about violence in Kenya, then she informed me, and I called Paul, etc. just barely in time to stop the rolling ball.

Matt has a class from 8-10 a.m. on Tuesdays and that day the teacher let them out half an hour early. So he fired up his computer and read his Google News feed. And saw the item about Kenya, and posted it, thinking we had already left. Emily saw it about ten minutes later, and told me, etc etc.

Kind of goosebumpy to think of all the dominoes that had to fall in exactly the right order, at the right time.

My friend EG emailed: I have had a burning question that you haven’t addressed in your blog, and that is to ask how Steven is coping with all this. Surely he was excited beyond measure with the anticipation of returning to visit his homeland and his friends… I would think he would be rather devastated. He has probably been on my mind the most of all of you since finding out what all has happened this week. Poor fella.

Steven was very disappointed at first but seems to be ok now. He is still very Kenyan in the sense that he lives almost entirely in the moment and doesn't think ahead (planning, worrying, wondering, etc) or behind (regretting, pondering, grieving, etc). When the moment is past, it's gone.

Sometimes this drives me crazy and sometimes it's a blessing.

The tent trailer is hooked up to the van, the mayo and matches are packed, and we're off to the coast. Toodles.

Quote of the Day:
"If I ever meet a girl who can cook like that, I think I'll marry her on the spot."
--Matt, after his Aunt Bonnie made a Mexican supper for the youth group

4 comments:

  1. what matt really needs to do is learn to cook like that so that any girl will marry him on the spot. it worked well for us! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you all have a GREAT time while you are at the coast!!!Hopefully it will help with some of the disappointments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that quote cracked me up! I dont know how many times my bros have said the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw Matt Friday night at the SMBI program at OSU and look forward to seeing y'all tomorrow at BMC!

    ReplyDelete