Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Numbers

"May I ask what you're doing with all these bananas?" asked the nice young lady at Price Chopper. No wonder, since I had 35 of them. I explained that they're for my daughter's graduation party tomorrow night.

I also bought, at Costco, where I couldn't locate any bananas--
36 apples
5 containers of grapes
12 kiwi
1 box of oranges
and some more stuff, for fruit trays for up to 175 people.

Now I need to make 3 pans of Oreo/ice cream dessert.

And tomorrow I need to go to school and cut up all that fruit plus mix 4 big cans of nacho cheese sauce with 3 jars of salsa and 9 pounds of sausage and put it all into my 2 big oval crock pots and also Sharon's 2 that I'm going to borrow, since she is a good Mennonite with a large crock pot collection.

22 hours til Amy comes home. (happy little jig)

The kids like to have a little snack when they come home from school. Yesterday Steven had 1 slice of cheesecake and 1 root beer float and was buttering 3 slices of bread when I came on the scene and squawked, so he put 1 slice back in the bag in an attempt at temperance.

He also likes to fry up 5 eggs for his breakfast.

As of today I have a 1 in 2139 chance of winning a house at the coast. This couple in Yachats wasn't able to sell their home so they are doing this contest where you write a 100-word essay about why you want this house and send them $200. They're hoping to collect 3000 entries and the market value of the house. The winner will be chosen by the essay and not random chance, so we decided it would not be gambling, and I wrung all the emotion I could out of those 100 words, including my sick daughter who is convinced a summer at the beach would make her better. If they don't get enough entries you get your money back, so if you want to increase my chances you can send in your check along with a badly-written entry. Read more here.

Quote of the Day:
"What do you call it if you don't like to be around someone who eats all the time?
Glutton intolerant!"
--Ben

8 comments:

  1. This was great!! And I think my 6 year old son never gets full....at least not with the food he likes!!! I have a lot to look forward to, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As of today I have a 1 in 2139 chance of winning a house at the coast. ...

    ... so we decided it would not be gambling..."

    You don't call a "1 in 2139 chance of winning" gambling? WOW...I wish I could use that logic at Spirit Mountain!..Trust me..the odds at blackjack, craps or even roulette are much better! ;):)..but we all have to pick our vices!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anon. 1--yes, lots to look forward to, such as no problem with leftovers.
    To Anon. 2--Please let me keep my delusions that the skill factor increases my chances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, now if only I wanted a house in Oregon, I'd give you a run for your money:)You should have written 1 good essay, and 30 bad ones, then your chances would be better. You'd also have a bunch more money in the deal,but....:) www.xanga.com/yodertime

    ReplyDelete
  5. "send in your check along with a badly-written entry"

    When I read this last night, I thought it was very funny.

    I still think it is.

    I'm tempted to donate $200 on the gam...chance I might win a free house.

    So how about you post your entry?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dorcas!!! If you win this house will you PLEASE invite me for the weekend????????? I am going to pray very hard that this is God's will, or fate, or whatever!! best wishes-geneva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geneva, believe me, if I win that house you'll spend lots of weekends there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll have to keep us up-dated on the essay-wining house!

    ReplyDelete