Thursday, March 22, 2007

Off to Idaho

Today's to-do list includes finishing two dresses, cleaning the van, and packing Paul's shaver. Tomorrow our family* along with a bunch of youth from church all head to Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, for a weekend youth retreat.

*except Ben is staying behind to feed the animals. He'll sleep at Grandma's.

This is a first for Paul, to be the Featured Speaker at an event like this. He'll be speaking six times, a lot for one weekend I think. Unfortunately, life didn't obligingly slow down for him this last week so he could study. And then he'd be on the computer, supposedly preparing, and I'd walk by and he'd be figuring out warehouse finances on Microsoft Excel. I told him he's acting like I do when I have an article to write.

There's one session where I'll be speaking to the girls on "What I wish someone would have told me when I was your age." I very seldom give talks to girls of this age, and I am finding that it's a very different thing than talking to your own daughters one on one--harder to say some things, easier to say others.

I also have fears of being so boring that the girls whisper and look bored and giggle among themselves, which I think would be worse than having people fall asleep, which happens almost every time I talk to older people. (As one person told me, "You have a good voice for putting people to sleep. No! I mean--well, I didn't mean it that way!")

Yes, well, here I sit typing and there are bags to pack. I know our church is praying for us as we go; your prayers are appreciated as well.

Quote of the Day:
"Are you next in line to talk to Mom?"
--overheard outside the bathroom door. I've heard there are women in this country who actually get to take leisurely baths--imagine.

3 comments:

  1. What's a bath? I don't think I have gotten one of those since having children :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your weekend go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear anonymous, So thats what I have been down-wind from!!!

    ReplyDelete