Sunday, December 14, 2008

Racial Issues

Once upon a time, Paul's aunt Nadine married a black guy from Cleveland and gave birth to Chris and Cathy, both of whom are smart and ambitious high achievers who make their Oregon cousins look like, well, like seldom-seen, nice, slightly backward cousins from Oregon.

I think Cathy is now a psychiatrist. Chris graduated from Princeton and was president of the alumni association, and so sat on the platform with the likes of Steve Forbes at graduations, and then he caught the Internet wave and with a friend or two started a company called Cyveillance that blossomed into something huge, and then he got out of that and is now a consultant or something in Washington DC or somewhere. I've kind of lost track.

We always figured he would be the first mixed-race President and in fact Barack Obama reminds me of Chris in a lot of ways.

There was something that always mystified me about those cousins. A lot of noise was made about them being such high-achieving young black people, and the fine example they set, and so on, based on the newspaper clippings that came around the Smucker aunts' circle letters. And I would think, yoo-hoo, hellooo, they're half black. What about the other half that's getting completely ignored here, this white, red-hair-and-freckles, mashed-potatoes-and-roast-beef, proper Mennonite half of their heritage, sitting anonymously out here in Oregon??

I once asked Chris about this at a family reunion. He sat there with his grandpa Orval's nose, and the ubiquitous Smucker freckles, of all things, and talked about his racial identity. He tended to take on the "black" label, he said, because that's how everyone saw him and treated him accordingly. No one looking at him would ever say, oh, I'll bet he comes from good Mennonite stock and his grandpa raises grass seed in Oregon. Which is not to say that he doesn't appreciate that side of his family, because he does.

We emailed Chris for advice when we adopted Steven. Are we nuts, we said, to bring an African child into this setting. Chris said no. "If anyone can do this successfully, the Smuckers can," he said.

All of which brings me to an interesting article I read today about Barack Obama and race. I was surprised how many parallels there were to Chris.

A perplexing new chapter is unfolding in Barack Obama's racial saga: Many people insist that "the first black president" is actually not black.

Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial — or, in Obama's own words, a "mutt" — has reached a crescendo since Obama's election shattered assumptions about race.

Obama has said, "I identify as African-American — that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige.

+ + +
and:

A Doonesbury comic strip that ran the day after the election showed several soldiers celebrating.

"He's half-white, you know," says a white soldier.

"You must be so proud," responds another.

+ + +

It'll be interesting to see what issues Steven will have to face, being 100% black/African racially, but raised in a white minority-culture community. Already, he finds things confusing at times ;

Quote of the Day:

Steven: [looking at the back of a folding chair] What's 'Samsonite?'

Me: It's a brand name for chairs and suitcases and stuff that are supposed to be really strong.

Steven: Oh, I thought it would be like 'Mennonite'. . . .'Samsonite'. . .

4 comments:

  1. personally, I think you are whatever you choose to be.

    and if you want to talk racism, why is a person who is 1/8 american indian considered "native american" when they are 7/8 something else? What if every "race" considered 1/8 enough to be part of that "race"?

    Frankly, if anybody asks me if I am "native american" I would answer yes. I'm a native Oregonian, my mother was born in America, so was her mother and her mother's mother... and my father and my father's parents, etc.

    I'm about as native as they come!!
    (but I have no American Indian blood, so far as I know)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Identity (racial, social, economic) is such a moving target. This semester I took a lit course that centered around some of the first Brit-American black writers and their work. Thinking about the slipperiness of identity and the way race was defined and constructed in the 1700s made an interesting backdrop for the election season. One thing that quickly became evident was the tension between trying to construct your own identity and the identity the larger world places upon you.

    Sometimes it's just easier to identify with what is known than to go through all the explanations of the "hidden" part of your identity and hear everyone chime in with their (often erroneous) perceptions of it.

    Steven has so many things going for him--his family, for one. According to my logic, my younger sister (bi-racial, raised Beachy Amish, attended public school, now in college) should have spent her teen years in the fetal position wrangling with identity issues. But by all appearances, she effortlessly slides back and forth between her worlds. If I brought the issue up, she would roll her eyes at me and keep right on texting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi is right on about our sister. Rachel told me this hilarious story about a certain octegenarian friend who met her new boyfriend at dad's recently. Dear Levi of the garlic breath told him,"Rachel is my good Negro friend.She'll make you a good wife and you better not let her go."
    Poor Rachel is twenty,in college and de-Mennonite-ized enough to not be thinking marriage.She squirms in embarrassment. "And you're so white", he says in amazement to the boyfriend.
    Rachel's reaction was complete embarrassment at the relationship aspects of this conversation.
    But she said Mom was in the background gasping at the racial comments.
    My racist meter registers a lot faster than Rachel's does. I'm glad she can let her family carry that burden and get on with her life.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  4. No he didn't!!!

    But, of course, Levi would! :)

    ReplyDelete