Friday, November 20, 2009

Excitement, Sickness, and Heroics

We are still battling sickness on all fronts but I am trying to tell myself my life is exciting anyhow. And I have to say it has its moments. . .

Last night around 11pm my cell phone beeped its text-message beep. I was already in bed and almost asleep but of course my eyes flew wide open as I imagined, in a split second, that Emily had taken a turn for pneumonia and Matt was in a bad accident and well, you know how we moms are.

It was a message from Matt: "Is it true that turkeys can drown if they look up while its raining?"

I looked it up on Snopes.com. That theory is false. I let him know.

This morning I went around inspecting throats with a flashlight and evaluating the sick folks for the umpteenth time. "Mom missed her calling; she should have been a doctor," said one of the children. Paul felt awful but didn't have a fever. He thought he should go to school. I talked him into also going to the doctor for a strep swab. It was positive. Amy insisted she's well enough to teach school but by the time she came home her fever was up. Unfortunately the clinic was closed by then. Ben slept in a bit this morning but decided he's well enough to venture out.

Steven, who got where he is today only because he has an immune system like a brick wall, is still fine. (I mean, how else would a motherless kid survive bouts of malaria and who knows what else while on the streets?) Yes, actually Steven is very fine. This afternoon I got a few things at the Mennonite store, including a plastic bag of whole wheat flour. Steven was helping me put this stuff away, so naturally he tossed this bag in the air on his way to the cupboard. The timid little twistie came off of course and, Folks, it is unreal how far and wide a few cups of flour can go. All over Steven, my papers, the floor, the phone, the Life game Paul and the kids were playing, and even more. He cleaned for a long time, and thought he was all done, and then a couple of hours later glanced up and realized there was even flour on the clock.



This brings to mind his uncle Philip, who I am told once tossed a jar of applesauce in the air in this very kitchen, and it hit the ceiling and broke. Don't ever tell me adopted kids aren't hand-picked to fit in with their families.

We also had an exciting episode this morning when He Who Has Oft Been Reminded Otherwise was carrying 5 glasses at one time to the dishwasher. He broke two of them in a great clattering disaster that sent a shard of glass clear over to the fridge. One of these years, (please God??) he will get tired of spending his money replacing things he's broken.

Jenny keeps galloping along at full speed.

Meanwhile Emily is slowly recovering. No more fever, but she's very tired. I find it interesting that she and Ben and Paul managed to get strep at pretty much the same time, even though Emz is 3000 miles away. She manages to attend her classes but that's about it.

Part of my exciting life involves dealing with sick people and wishing I could tie them down like Gulliver in Lilliput. There are two kinds of sick people: A) sensible ones like me, who go straight to bed and stay there until they're well, willingly accepting sympathy and pots of tea, and B) those who see illness as a chance to be heroic, brushing off sympathy, insisting they feel better if they're at work, plowing on despite fevers and swollen throats and flushed cheeks as though the enemy will storm the gates if they abandon their posts.

Yes, I am surrounded by the heroic sort. Personally I don't see anything noble in being out and about infecting everyone you see, or anything shameful about staying in bed.

Quote of the Day:
"I'm treating my bad very bookly."
--Steven, reading his literature book

8 comments:

  1. Where is the Mennonite store? May non - Mennonites shop there? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually called Shoppe of Shalom and it's on Hwy 99E, at the north end of Halsey. Anyone is welcome to shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I will have to stop by-it sounds very neat!
    I hope that it will be soon when all this sickness is put behind ALL of you!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my theory--you're heroic if you stay home to keep from infecting the rest of the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are in the fog of sickness too. I hate feeling stuck in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn't a jar of applesauce that Philip tossed. It was those dark cherries.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about all the sick going on.

    I am totally laughing about one of your boys--again! Mine have been playing toss and catch with things since...well...probably shortly after birth.

    I really can't remember it any different.

    Funny.
    The contents become amazingly disproportionate to the size of the container when it spills or breaks.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vitamin D3; Cholcalciferol 5000 IU
    daily. You still catch it along with
    everyone else, but the severity and
    duration are decreased. Research it
    on the net looking for Dr John Cannell.

    Love to drop by and peek in on a loving family in action

    God's blessings

    ReplyDelete