Friday, July 02, 2010

A People Day

Today was a People Day.

I drove up to Salem and met my brother's wife Geneva for brunch and coffee. She is the sort of person who should teach classes on how to listen, so even though I went with the intention of listening to her life, I ended up talking a lot.

Then I spent about an hour in Albany getting groceries which doesn't count as People Time except for saying hello to the lovely ladies at Grocery Outlet [no, wait, Grocery DEPOT] such as Steph and Shelley.

After I came home Trish M. called me about ordering polo shirts for this fall. Wait, we can't be thinking about school uniform shirts yet, can we? Trish must think it's July already.

Then Anita called me to invite me to a ministers' wives lunch next week and I had to say no because we'll be out at the coast and also Jenny and I go to Minnesota for my mom's 90th birthday.

While I was on the phone with her, Janelle came over. She used to live up the road and would come over and clean now and then, one of the young ladies who has saved my sanity many times. She now lives in the Ukraine and works with Masters International Missions and was home for a visit, and I wanted to see her pictures and catch up with her before she goes back. [And now I really want to go visit her too, after I visit John and Laura in Poland.]

While I was talking with Janelle we kept getting interrupted, mostly by the phone. [We haven't set up the answering machine with the new fax/printer.]
Lora Z. called to ask when the girls are coming home from their week of teaching Bible School down at Winston.
Lisa the Niece called to ask how to make that oniony/cream cheesy filling for fish on the grill.
Brandon called to talk to Ben about volleyball.
Amy came home from teaching VBS.
My sis Margaret called to talk about when they're coming to visit.
Regina called to ask if she could borrow a key for the church.

And all day I kept thinking about my nephew Leonard, who left us four years ago. Tonight there are still groceries not put away and receipts not filed and garage sale stuff not organized, but I am still glad I had a People Day, because the people in my life are precious beyond describing, and you never know when the day will come that you won't ever be able to talk with them again.

Quote of the Day:
"Thou shalt not smoke!"
--my friend Regina's little Sierra, during "Popcorn" time, when the kids were all supposed to jump up and quote Bible verses

2 comments:

  1. Some days I have days like yours and they always leave me feeling like--"Exactly WHAT did I get accomplished today?!" But then, I remember the many days when I just wanted some one to listen to me, take time for me and care about me. Not that I had a real problem to discuss, I just wanted some one with a set of ears and a heart of love! You accomplished alot! --even if your "To Do List" wasn't completed! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could that have been Grocery Depot instead of Grocery Outlet?

    ReplyDelete