Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sisera's mom and me

After I posted the other day about being so worried about Matt when he was late coming home, I got a comment (now deleted) chastising me for not trusting God more and for keeping such close track of adult children.

So I was amused to find this passage in the book of Judges this morning: [Sisera was commander of a Canaanite army, with 900 chariots at his disposal]

24 "Most blessed of women be Jael,
the wife of Heber the Kenite,
most blessed of tent-dwelling women.

25 He asked for water, and she gave him milk;
in a bowl fit for nobles she brought him curdled milk.

26 Her hand reached for the tent peg,
her right hand for the workman's hammer.
She struck Sisera, she crushed his head,
she shattered and pierced his temple.

27 At her feet he sank,
he fell; there he lay.
At her feet he sank, he fell;
where he sank, there he fell-dead.

28 "Through the window peered Sisera's mother;
behind the lattice she cried out,
'Why is his chariot so long in coming?
Why is the clatter of his chariots delayed?'

29 The wisest of her ladies answer her;
indeed, she keeps saying to herself,

30 'Are they not finding and dividing the spoils:
a girl or two for each man,
colorful garments as plunder for Sisera,
colorful garments embroidered,
highly embroidered garments for my neck—
all this as plunder?'

31 "So may all your enemies perish, O LORD!
But may they who love you be like the sun
when it rises in its strength."
Then the land had peace forty years.

Sisera's mom and I have a lot in common, that's obvious: looking out the window, waiting for grown sons to come home, and imagining what's keeping them.

I guess the big question is--is this a universal Mom Thing, or are she and I both heathens who don't trust God?

I think it's a Mom Thing, true in every age and time and place. No matter how much we trust God, we don't rest easy until every child is home.

15 comments:

  1. Of course it's a Mum thing. And a dad thing even if they will pretend they don't worry...
    Even if your beliefs are strong you can't stop worrying. For your children, for your Parents,and for the people you love. This is what makee a loving human being. But try not to worry too much!
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a mom thing! That's what makes you such a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately a mom thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read your blog about Matt the other day,tears welled up in my eyes 'cause I've been there even though it's years ago (he's 40 now), but the memories are still fresh.... and yes, I did trust God, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosy (from Plain City)7/29/2010 4:16 AM

    This is soo... a Mom(parent) thing! Trusting God doesn't necessarily exclude staying awake and praying earnestly and unceasingly for our children who are late coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, it is a Mom thing! Because who else would worry about them?! Someone has to...:-)

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say it depends how you spend your time waiting,for example if we trust God we'll most likely be talking to God (hopefully listening to Him too). So I don't think waiting up for your adult son to get home is not trusting God.:)BTW I have a son who is on his own & when I can't get him on his cell,well lets just say I know what you mean Dorcas. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, count me in on that mom thing vote. And if we parents don't intercede for our children's safety both physically and spiritually, who is going to? Only a parent is truly equipped with the proper burden to pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people have no sense of humor!

    This reminds me of the time my sister went to her first youth activity. Mom was so on edge that when the phone rang at 9 pm, she grabbed her socks and shoes, ready to make a mad dash for the emergency room! :) Thankfully--for all of us--she eventually relaxed a bit. Even so, she still worries that I'll lock my keys (and my child) in the car when we're on a road trip. To her, that level of concern is part of the job description and I've learned to love her for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is truly a God-given instinct He has placed in the mom mind ... I like to seperate worry and concern ...worry is when you don't let God in , concern is when God is in and you are using that in-planted mechcanism that God gave us moms to be concerned about our children , praying and seeking God's protection on them ..... our minds are humanly made and God also inplanted our minds to go 100 miles an hr.( no matter how much we want to control it , it still keeps going ) when things don't shape up like we want ...BUt the best thing of all that God gave us , is peace in the middle of worry ,concern or whatever you want to call it .... I can well relate to what you were going through that nite , a peace of God in your heart coated with a mom concern for her children ....it's a God-thing ..... and through it all, it's not that we aren't trusting God , it's that we are using the instincts God has given us human moms coated with God's grace and peace ...... don't know if I'm making sense , but I know what i mean !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to point out that it's also a child thing!! especially when the parents grow older. I'm well known for worrying for my 85 years old mum, sometimes too much...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever read Margaret Avison's poem about this Bible story? She is a Canadian poet that is well worth the hard work of reading...the poem is called "Jael's Part" in her collection Winter Sun.
    -Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tamar--I just looked up and read the poem. Yes, worth the work of reading. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's the way I look at it. Each person on the planet needs someone who cares, really CARES, to carry them on their heart. (Excuse my pronouns-- you know what I mean.) And God gave Matt to YOU to truly care about, to love, to pray for. Mom Things, up to a point, are God-ordained. My MIL gave me a sweet little refrigerator magnet when our house was starting to fill up with little people: "Someone up above hears every mother's prayer." If we didn't "worry", would we think to pray? (I think true intercessory prayer includes giving our worries to God.) I'm waxing lengthy here, but the point is, well, go back and read the second sentence......! :) -PC in VA

    ReplyDelete