Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blackberry Pie

The first blackberries are ripe but still pretty tart. Ben requested a blackberry pie for his birthday dessert so I bribed Steven and Jenny and we all trooped out to the end of the orchard in the 105 degree heat to try to get enough for a pie. About two cups into this crazy endeavor I suddenly remembered--Well Duh!!--that I still had blackberries in the freezer from last year. So we happily trooped back in, and the berries thawed in short order on the trampoline.

Someone asked me for my blackberry pie recipe. Trust me, this is the easiest pie recipe ever.

Easy Pie Crust

Mix with mixer or pastry blender until crumbly but not doughy:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Crisco or 3/4 cup generic shortening

Add 1/2 cup cold water, or a little more is ok. This dough can be the consistency of cookie dough and it still turns out fine, unlike all the recipes that tell you to sprinkle in about two eye-droppers of water and somehow make all these crumbs stick together in a ball.


Blackberry Pie

Mix together (10-inch pie/9-inch pie)
5 cups blackberries/ 4 cups
6 T. flour / 1/4 cup flour
1 cup sugar/ 2/3 cup sugar

Put it into the crust. Top with another crust if you want to. Bake at 425 for 45-50 minutes (10-inch ) or 35-45 minutes (9-inch) or until nice and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. Dorcas,

    I am finally getting around to asking a question about something you wrote over 4 years ago. You said in your July 1, 2005 entry that you made an "amusing" comment about cape dresses. May I ask what you think of cape dresses??=)

    ReplyDelete