Saturday, July 25, 2009

Missin' My Daughters

I miss Amy and Emily.

I still don't know quite how I survived almost two weeks without any daughters in the house. No advice on outfits, none of that intuitive female understanding, no one to have tea with me. And the one evening we were getting company so I put on a nice dress and an apron, and an hour later realized that the apron strap had pulled both collar points straight up against my neck and held them there. Did any of the men in the house bother to tell me this? No.

So Jenny came home and once again I had a girl around, which was great. And soon her little cousin Alli began spending time here as well.

So this evening at the supper table it was Paul to my left, then me. Across the table sat three big boys [Ben, Steven, and Keith the nephew] silently wolfing down large barbecued-pork sandwiches. To my right were two little girls who took dainty bites of little sandwiches and kept looking at each other and bursting into fits of giggles.

And I thought, I just want my big girls to come home.

Next week, the Lord willing, they do.

I know it means there'll be a bit too much estrogen in the air at times, and Amy and Emily will share lots of jokes at my expense, and I'll have to cook around Emily's allergies. But I can't wait.

Quote of the Day:
"I have enough testosterone in this house to run a small country."
--My sis Rebecca, mom of three boys, when her sons have their friends over

1 comment:

  1. I saw them both tonight, and Emily autographed her book for me!

    ReplyDelete