Saturday, April 16, 2005

Good Medicine

My friend Sharon and I both lead stressful lives, and we have this running joke that one of these days we really need to get together and have a nervous breakdown. We’ve both earned one several times over, that’s for sure. But neither of us is quite sure just what’s involved or how to go about it, so if we get together maybe we can figure it out.

Joking aside, the truth is that probably we have both come perilously close to a nervous breakdown without anyone showing us how. Sharon, however, has the good sense to know that even if life is stressful, you still need humor. In fact, the more stress you have, the more humor becomes a necessity rather than a frill.

Last week one day Sharon asked if I’d be interested in joining her and a few other ladies at a Night of Fun and Laughter at Applebees in Eugene.

Would I ever. All day Monday I was fluttery, and as evening approached I was downright giddy. After Sharon picked me up, it turned out I wasn’t the only one. "Today was such a long day," one sister said. "I was so looking forward to this." Another said, "It felt like a first date, trying to decide what to wear and everything."

Of course, our children’s reaction to our anticipation was more along these lines: "The thing is, you guys make such a BIG DEAL out of it. I mean, if it was us, it would be just like, whatever, you’d just call people the day of and say do you want to go out tonight." (Amy)

All told, we seven were moms to 31 souls, and we all know that moms of this quantity don’t just like, whatever, go out tonight.

So we dressed up, gathered at Applebees, talked nonstop, ate, and laughed. In fact, I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. I was sputtering and wiping tears and having a wonderfully therapeutic time and suddenly my glass slipper fell off and I realized it was 10:00! Mercy, how did this happen? We couldn’t possibly have been there for more than an hour.

What could a bunch of proper Mennonite moms talk about all evening that would be so funny? Sorry, (snort, sputter, hahahahahahahahaha) we’re under more secrecy than the Papal Conclaves.

A merry heart does good like a medicine, the Bible says. Thanks, Sharon, that was the best-tasting medicine I’ve ever had.

Quote of the Day:
"There are now 10 million blogs on the Internet, and counting."
--Matt, letting his mom know how much competition she has

9 comments:

  1. You said it, Sister! How I can relate! Just last Friday I was invited to a bridal shower and on the way there, (leaving the house without a diaper bag felt like I was forgetting something) :) I was thinking about how I was going to call my sister on my way home (by then it would be after 9:00 and the cell phone minutes would be off-peak) :) and admit to her how giddy (interesting that we thought of the same word to describe our feelings about a night out) I was about going to a BRIDAL SHOWER and wasn't that PATHETIC?! I had a wonderful time meeting some new ladies and visiting and laughing with friends; didn't leave the party until after 10:00. I also could hardly believe the time when I checked it on the cell phone.
    Being a stay-at-home Mom has been a lonely existence for me at times, especially since we live almost an hour from most of our church family. My dear husband ordered an unlimited phone plan--including calls to Canada--for us (me) when we moved to NY, and to say that it has preserved my sanity isn't much of an overstatement. The phone has provided a connection to my Mother, sister, and friends when my social life consists pretty much of attending church on Sunday and eating lunch together afterwards. (I heard someone say that going grocery shopping with children doesn't count as a break because it's often more stressful than staying at home.) :)
    HOWEVER, about a month ago, I went with 3 friends to a Ladies Luncheon at a Christian Conference Center, and was that ever a treat! Imagine, a meal without booster seats, bibs, or sipper cups. I warned my friends to 'Watch out; I might try to feed you.' :)
    Thank you so much for this post, Dorcas. I have enjoyed all of them, but this one was extra special! Great writing! I could almost feel like I was right there with y'all at Applebee's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey what a great evening!!!! I'm still chuckling!!! My friend Michelle (also my partner in crime on your magizine article)says ha ha to the proper mennonite women!!!I'm afraid I've divulged to many of our secrets for her to believe we're proper anymore.I think we can wait a few more days for a nervous break down. Thanks for your contribution to the awesome evening. your "non stressed" friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of those ten thousand blogs yours is one of the best.

    I love stopping by here (it's one of my favorite ways of procrastinating... :)) to find a new post and a word of the day. I stumbled upon it very accidentally and am so grateful I did! In an internet world where most blogs talk about the dating life in the big city, or about politics, or too poorly written to read, yours is a real treat! Glad you had fun "out with the girls!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean quote of the day. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--I believe I could use a good dose of that medicine. I am working part time, so I do get out of the house a lot. But I am with children in the classroom. I love them dearly--but adult female companionship is a priceless treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you can have fun without belonging to the Purple and Red Ladies' Society?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "little toe" comments sure made me think of what it really is like to leave "the Shoe"!! Don't we need those giddy times out with the girls?? I acidentally stumbled upon your "Shoe", your style of footware rings like the clicking of the heels of a "MK" in Kztn...and I'm her big sister, too, (altho adopted)! Keep writing, I'll need add'l Kiwi in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I too thought of the similarities between our evening out and the Red Hat ladies. However, we were all pre-retirement age and we wore black veilings.
    To Termil--you have me terribly curious as to your True Identity. You must give MK a big hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If of pre-retirement age, lavender and pink are allowed.

    ReplyDelete