Sunday, November 25, 2007

Poetry

Many years ago Amy wrote a poem that I entitled Desperate for a Rhyme:
"God made
Many things there is.
People made
Bubbly fizz."

Emily and I like to brainstorm about hymns we know with questionable lyrics that can be taken more than one way. She thinks the authors were desperate for a rhyme. I think they just had trouble with pronouns. Such as:

"I will call upon the one whom the wind and waves command."

"Sin and death his kingdom shall destroy."

"Twas Gabriel first that did proclaim to his most blessed mother. . ."

Or maybe we're just weird, or we had a bit too much (non-alcoholic) bubbly fizz.

Quote of the Day:
Edit: quote of the day censored by embarrassed daughter.
--Emily

5 comments:

  1. am so curious about qotd. :-)
    yes yes on the hymn rhymage. its kind of pathetic sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, now I REALLY want to know what you said! Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to mention the one song that says, "Here I raise my Ebenezer..." Believe it or not, you can google that phrase and get the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your post from Mom to son on proper responses to women! : ) Loved it! So much like some my sons and I have ! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am very curious.....how is Emily doing by now?? Been praying for her AND her mother!!

    ReplyDelete