Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Next Book

Another collection of my columns is being readied for the presses by Good Books as we speak. This one includes stories of Jenny's questions, Emily's baptism, our months in Kenya, Steven's adoption, and more--32 in all.


The goal is to have it ready to go so I can have some signings in Ohio and Pennsylvania in conjunction with Paul's nephew Byran's wedding in August.

Let me clarify once again that technically this is my second book and not my third. The first one, Letters from Harrisburg-Ordinary Days, was revised by Good Books and republished as Ordinary Days-Family Life in a Farmhouse.


The title for the new book is pulled from the story of the new porch, where I am sipping tea like the queen while there's all kinds of chaos around me:


Upstairs the Peasants are Revolting--More Family Life in a Farmhouse


The title always triggers one of two reactions:


Quote of the Day:
"What??"--my friend Rachel
"I like it. It's quirky." --my friend Arlene

17 comments:

  1. That's a great title, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. You have fabulous advisors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes! How come no one ever picks the mid-west for book signings? (Whine,whine.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look forward to reading this! I enjoyed your first book so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new book, Dorcas!

    I like the title very much.

    (Natives and peasants strike me as neat words, for some reason.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! I love the title...That in itself is a masterpiece ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a title that will arouse curiosity and be a seller I like the cover look,the quilt makes me think of Grandma was that your chosing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you for your nice comments and for relieving my fears that no one will "get" the title.
    Margaret, I tend to have signings when and where nephews get married. So if you want to find a match in your area for a fine 23-year-old named Randy. . .
    Annette, no I didn't get to design or choose the cover but I really like it. It actually resembles our porch/house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See Dorcas!!! That title is really cool!! I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Weell,your cousin down here has a daughter that age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like another good one coming out of the mill!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! With that title, your book will be a "picker-upper", not a "passer-byer". (I love books, libraries, bookstores..........and currently live in Haiti where these luxuries are non-existent)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the title!!!
    bethany

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would buy a book with that title in a hearbeat. Now thats a real title. I love the pic too. That book will fly off the shelves. Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!!! And was this the title Paul had an opinion about? I love it. I have no idea of what it is unless I read the book. I would have to buy it to cure my curiosity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Laura, that's the title Paul reacted to. I don't know why and I'm not sure he does either. But I think he's resigned now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy K says, "I love, love your
    column in the Eugene Register. My
    friend in Eugene cuts it out each
    month and mails it to me in Tacoma,
    WA. Bought your first book and am
    watching my calendar for the next!
    Your ability to write clear prose
    and imbue it with heart and soul
    makes each read such a pleasure!
    Thank you for letting us into your
    world!

    ReplyDelete