Monday, July 21, 2008

Voice from the Past

Do you ever have a completely random something from your past drop into your present? I was cashiering at the rummage sale in the church fellowship hall on Saturday when the church phone rang. I answered, and a loud, enthusiastic, accented voice said, "This is Ulf Oldenburg from Germany! Can I speak to Brother Smucker?"

I nearly fell over as the dots suddenly connected in my head. When I was a child at our little Beachy-Amish church in Minnesota, Ulf Oldenburg used to come and preach to us about the persecuted church in Eastern Europe and Russia. He had that intense been-through-the-fire look in his eyes, and would preach until ten at night sometimes, through a patient interpreter. I remember he wouldn't spare on the details despite the children in the audience, and once described a Christian man who was tortured by putting "Zwei Hoge in sei Nass" (two hooks in his nose) and hoisted up.

I thought Ulf was an old man back then, and I can hardly believe he's still alive thirty years later. But apparently is he not only alive and well, but he's learned to speak English quite well. He'll be in this area sometime soon I think. I'll need to go hear him.

11 comments:

  1. I just read your book, Family Life in the Farmhouse and enjoyed it, was in our Church Library here @ Perkiomenville Menn. Church, Pa. We had lived in Oregon, so can relate to what you are saying and I certainly do like the way you compare things, especially @ the end of your chaptures. So, I looked your name on line and got another wonderful dose and read it all too. I am Nancy Bitikofer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I remember that guy! Im sure he came to our church. I am totally traumatized by all the persecution stories I heard as a kid. I kid you not. I plan for persecution at every drop of the hat. If I get hurt by something I wonder why they havent thought of that as a form of torture. When I get sick I plan how I would react to this particular illness should I be imprisoned some day and on and on it goes. I am traumatized I tell you...TRAUMATIZED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I too remember Ulf well. He stayed at our place several times on his stop over at Hopewell as He and my partents had become friends from out time living in Michigan. On one such visit he gave me a wooden puzzle type of game made from teak...for giving up my bedroom for him for several nights....I still have that puzzle and memories of those blazing eyes...
    srs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fascinating character! Be sure to post his itinerary here if/when he's on the west coast. I just might enjoy meeting him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Ulf Oldenburg from well over 30 years ago. And those eyes - how they penetrated. He came to Red Lake a number of times while I lived there but he must have spared us the worst details or maybe because I wasn't a kid anymore they didn't haunt me long. But he was old then already I thought. Wonder what his itinerary is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. please make sure you take pictures of him i remember him well as achild to this day i still like to read history stories of our dear persecuted christians we have so much in this free country

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josh--I'm not sure. The "Ulf Oldenburg" and "Germany" would indicate yes. But I remember him as being passionate about the persecuted church rather than Jewish/prophecy issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous Josh Champagne said...

    Is this the same guy? http://www.uphaz.de/

    7/22/2008 8:45 PM
    Blogger Dorcas said...

    Josh--I'm not sure. The "Ulf Oldenburg" and "Germany" would indicate yes. But I remember him as being passionate about the persecuted church rather than Jewish/prophecy issues.

    7/22/2008 9:51 PM

    This is the same man, I am just reading his newsletter, did some googling and found the question in this blog https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11022879&postID=8687561554592957949

    Be blessed.

    Frank.Smid@gmail.com, The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still remember back in Red Lake when I first met him as a young struggling Christian. He reminded me that I will always suffer hardship as a follower of Christ and life will not be that easy. I thank God for him coming to Red Lake to preach to us about sufferings in Romania. He gave us a lot of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you enjoy hearing Bro. Ulf, I thought you might appreciate the following link: http://lancastercountyrevival.org/recordings/video-recordings/ulf-oldenburg/

    ReplyDelete