Saturday, September 02, 2006

We Preoccupied Authors

Sunday evening at church the youth group sang a few songs. Now Emily isn't very enthusiastic about this sort of thing at the best of times but that night I noticed that at one point she simply quit singing and stood there silently. It was like her engine stalled for a minute or two and then she started it again and kept going.

Fast forward to last night, when Emily handed me her magnum opus of the summer: a long multi-chaptered story involving children, flashbacks, drama, a cave, angry relatives, and a happy ending with all strings tied in a neat bow.

Then she said, "Sunday night when we were singing at church I all of a sudden realized I had a flaw in my plot and I was trying to figure it out and finally at the end of the song I thought of a solution and I was like 'Oh!' and Bethany was like 'What??'"

That, obviously, was the little pause in the singing. We authors can get very distracted by our own minds.

Quote of the Day:
"Mom, did you know that I could fit more than 3.5 million sugar cubes in my room?"
--Ben

2 comments:

  1. Tell Ben his uncle doesn't beleive him, and he wants him to prove it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read Emily's story. I know she's a great writer.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete