Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dorcas Enchanted

In the book, Ella Enchanted, a fairy places a spell on baby Ella, and until the spell is broken she is doomed to obey every command she is given.

Of course her wicked stepsisters take advantage of this, and tell her to give her the necklace her mother gave her, plus lots of other horrible things, and she does them even though she doesn't want to.

(Yes, this is a modern and much-revised Cinderella story.)

I can relate to Ella way too well. When I am in the presence of a stronger personality (most of the population, it seems), especially one of these people who automatically tells everyone else what to do, it's like I'm under a spell and I have to do what they say.

It is awful. And I get furious at myself. But I have no idea how to break the spell.

Paul and I as minister-and-wife are trying to deal with a difficult situation in our care, and we are in way over our heads, so today I made some phone calls trying to find someone more experienced that we could consult with. I called one counsellor, and his wife answered. No, they don't discuss situations over the phone, she said, and in a honeyed voice she started to set me up for an appointment, today, before she gave me the slightest clue about what their approach would be or if this was really what we wanted. It was like I was under the spell of the snake in Ella Enchanted. "Are you free in twenty minutes? We have an opening then," she coaxed in soothing tones. Honestly, it was like something was compelling me to drop everything and go and I had no choice. Finally by a great mental effort I forced myself back to reality, yanked my mouth open, and explained that I can't possibly set up an appointment without discussing it with Paul first.

Too weird.

Back when Jenny was a baby I went to Arco for gas one day and the young male attendant told me that no, I cannot pay outside even though I have a baby in the back seat. So I unbuckled Jenny and went in to wait in line. And this nice sweet lady came up to me and asked why I hadn't stayed in the car with my baby. I said the attendant said I had to pay inside. She was upset. "They're supposed to take your money out there if you have small children!" Then she patted my shoulder and honeyed me and told me to go right back out with my baby and tell that attendant I'm paying out there. Well, of all the foolishness, now that I was already inside, but like a dumb sheep I wandered back outside and tried to explain to the bewildered young man what I was up to. And then I went home and was mad at myself for two days.

My sis Becky tells me that it is ingrained in Middle Eastern Muslims to do exactly what they're told, without questioning anything. In fact, many suicide bombers are chosen randomly off the street and told this is their destiny: to go on that bus in ten minutes and yank this cord and blow themselves to "heaven." And they do it. Some time ago a Palestinian woman was caught just before she was about to set off a suicide bombing. The Western media questioned her extensively as to why was she going to do this, what was she thinking, didn't she consider her children? And the only answer she could give was, "But they told me to do it. They told me to."

Unfortunately, I can sympathize all too well with that woman.

Quote of the Day:
Emily: What exactly is 'lowing?'
Matt: Mooing.
(pause)
Matt: But it just doesn't sound right to sing, 'The cattle are mooing. . ."

7 comments:

  1. I love Ella Enchanted! I sometimes think someone cast an obedience spell on me, too, because I am a self-proclaimed rule follower. If the sign says, "Do not enter", I don't. I still feel horribly guilty sneaking Junior Mints into a movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy do I agree with you there. I feel like I too often let people tell me when and how to breathe and it makes me so mad at myself. When I do get the nerve to stand up to them then I am all concerned that I have hurt their feelings!!! I know I know.. I have serious issues!!:) I think I am getting a LITTLE better at it though..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might come as a surprise to people who only know me online, but my nature is to be a rule-follower. That's why I had a great GPA in school--I jumped through the hoops and asked questions later. As you point out, though, it doesn't work so well in every area of life. Knowing the difference is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called obedience without questioning syndrome; quite rampant in some areas of the country.It's drilled extensively. Obedience, not thinking. It's the ultimate duty of man.. er women... children..or something like that. Or maybe it's just a compliant personality who grew up that way...
    Not personally commenting on you, just some general observations of what I've observed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all {{{HUGS}}} and prayers for the situation that you and Paul are dealing with. I’m proud of you for not rushing over to that honey voiced woman! You said “ I have no idea how to break the spell,” but you managed to do so today by “great mental effort” I have the personality opposite of yours I’m a steamroller! I’m in a room a few minutes and suddenly there are “flat people” everywhere. I expect that not being a doormat is a lot like not being a steam roller. It takes LOTS of practice and great mental effort!

    Another "Mrs. S"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing all the way through this; not at your enchantment but at the way you tell it! You know what Dorcas? I never feel like this. Oh maybe way back in the early years somewhere there may have been a time but I cant recall it.

    I only hope this doesnt mean I'm stiff necked and rebellious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, Mrs. Darling, you are not stiff-necked; you are a fortunate woman.
    And Mrs. S, thanks for the hugs and prayers. Need 'em both.

    ReplyDelete