Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More Weighty Matters

Since I need to keep up this tradition of next-day clarifications about weight:

At the signing on Saturday I got the usual strange comments about my size--"Why did I picture you as very matronly and very heavy?"

Or this:
Customer: You don't look at all like I expected you to look!
Me: Let me guess. I'm supposed to be bigger.
Customer: (giggle) Well. . .you know. . .comfortable.

I found that very interesting because that is the exact word the Yemeni women use for a woman who is the "right" size, and the one Yemeni lady who pinched and poked me all over declared that I was not comfortable, and she felt sorry for my husband.

The mystery in all this is that I am actually not that small. I probably weigh 20 pounds more than my sister Becky, and I could stand to lose a few.

However, I had a bit of an epiphany the other night. See, a lot of my weight has been melting toward the southern hemisphere the last ten years, if you get my drift. And when I'm signing books, I'm usually behind a table or counter, so all people see is the northern hemisphere!

What an AHA! moment. No wonder they think I'm skinny, if that's all they see.

But why I'm supposed to be 200 pounds remains a mystery.

Quote of the Day:
"Mom, I wanna be rich, so can you sign my homework slip?"
--Ben, after he found out that an autographed book of mine was for sale on Amazon for $110

7 comments:

  1. You should know you look wonderfully thin, northern and southern hemishere alike!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could explain that being small is part of being in the Yoder gene pool were in. You could also explain how we Yoder ladies have no need for any eye makeup since there seem to be small dark lines etched around our eyes permanantly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could explain that being small is part of being in the Yoder gene pool were in. You could also explain how we Yoder ladies have no need for any eye makeup since there seem to be small dark lines etched around our eyes permanantly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dorcas..you look great!! On the other hand this is a depressing subject for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Niece Net--And we Yoder ladies also don't need to get collagen injected into our lips to plump them up (like Angelina Jolie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could share some of my Yoder gene pool with you - we are the "fluffy" looking group! LOL
    Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete