Monday, December 04, 2006

Signing with the Stars

On Saturday night I had the privilege of being one of 38 Oregon authors at the annual Authors and Artists Fair at the Eugene Library, a major event that often draws 3000 people. I was feeling rather proud about all this until I found my designated spot--right beside Jane Kirkpatrick!

Well, way to be humbled. I set out my one book while Jane and her husband Jerry set out stacks of about 15 different books, and before they were done setting up they were mobbed with fans. And on the other side of me, Joe Blakely, who I seem to land next to at book functions, was also beset by the hordes while he was still taking plastic wrap off his books. So I sat there sadly and ate my pumpkin bar.

But, guess what, pretty soon I was too busy to notice how Jane and Joe were doing or finish my bar, because nice wonderful people started coming by and saying hello and "Please don't stop writing" (did they all somehow sense how often I'm tempted??) and even buying books!

Andrew, the talented signing-coordinator from Barnes and Noble who gave me Godiva chocolates came by and introduced me to his wife.

Shirley Tallman showed up in her wonderful early-1900's costume and thanked me for linking to her website after we met in August. She couldn't believe how many hits it generated.

Our neighbors from several miles down Substation Drive, the Imuses, came by. I have biked past their place many times but had never met them.

Various friends from the Red Moons writing group stopped with encouragement and good wishes.

To my complete and utter amazement, a man with a slightly crooked nose came by and asked if I remember him. Oh. My. Goodness. It was Mr. Newman, who taught a write-your-life-story evening class I took at Lane Community College almost ten years ago. One of the horrible experiences of my life was when he took one of my stories and absolutely ripped it to shreds (verbally) in front of the whole class. It was trite and cutesy, he said. It was shallow, it didn't say anything, I was trying too hard, what on earth was my purpose in writing this. I went from there to my friend Rita's house and cried stormily into her sympathetic ears. One of the harder things I've done was to hold my head up high and go back to that class the next week.

And here was this same man humbly complimenting me on my writing. "You write what the spirit is all about," he said. I scrambled frantically for a response, feeling that he wanted me to say that I learned a lot in his class, but I couldn't bring myself to say any such thing, so I just smiled and thanked him, and now I need to figure out if I've really forgiven him from my heart.

I was hoping to meet Jan Eliot, but I didn't have time. But I did see Val Brooks, who was the inspiration for Val in Jan Eliot's comic strip, Stone Soup.

Paul and the three youngest children came to give me a break halfway through the evening. I took the children and went downstairs to say hi to Bob Welch, who still remembered Jenny from three years ago when he wrote that she had a smile as bright as the September day. Oh, did she ever love that.

Every writer I met passed Mom's high standard of "nice and common." I hope I did too.

Jane Kirkpatrick's husband is a small, quiet, unassuming, white-bearded man and not at all a tall, dashing western-romance-novel hero. For some reason I found this comforting.

And I never did finish my pumpkin bar.

Quote of the Day:
"I didn't think I would connect with you. Our lifestyles are so completely different. But I do."
--a wealthy-looking lady in a black coat

10 comments:

  1. That's a funny story, about your writing teacher. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would your Mom think about your not finishing your pumpkin bar? What did you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thus Anonymous skillfully and gleefully plunges Dorcas into a vat of guilt.

    (I gave the congealed remnant of the bar to a poor one-legged beggar in rags on the sidewalk, of course. What else would I do with it?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very proud of you and am amazed that you continue to be so nice and common despite your growing fame!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on rubbing elbows with the "stars"
    Now, I MUST run out & get the book for myself! Have been "eyeballing" it on Amazon.com, but just haven't taken the "plunge" to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I was only wanting to learn more about your mother. In the process I learned more about you. You have a tender conscience. Now don't go feeling guilty about that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, anonymous, I have a sensitive conscience when it comes to my mother and throwing away perfectly good food. You have no idea what a sin that was at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so disappointed. I wanted so badly to meet you and buy your book, at your signing this past Tuesday at the RG. I work there, and unfortunately it completely slipped my mind, I was busy doing so many other things and I didn't remember until the next day. I just wanted to tell you in person what a FANTASTIC writer I think you are, and be able to put a face to the column I read every month. I was shocked in "googling" you to find your photo and this blog. So, now I know what you look like (sorry, I don't agree with others that you should weigh more), but I still wish I could have said in person what a terrific column you write. I wish sometimes I could lead a simpler life, without so much stress, and not put so much importance on 'things'. I guess I try to live vicariously through your words sometimes. You do a great job, I hope I get to continue reading your column for a long time to come! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Melissa! I hope we can meet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Dorcas...Since I'm in boo-hooin mode anyhow, this story was just one more reason to let it rip. It was WUNNERFUL! I'm so glad for you. You have nothing to sneeze about.

    ReplyDelete